Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Saw a water department truck yesterday

It was a Nissan.

Why do old school unions support government ones? I'd be pissed. I AM pissed and am complaining.

Pete
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM

That's pretty shocking, my dept buys our trucks on state bid and I never see foreign vehicles on there except for the occasional MB sprinter, but we know who really makes that. Although Nissan won the bid on NYC taxis and they are making the new full size van for Chevy. There was even a rumor a few years back that Nissan was going to make the next Titan pickup on the Ram platform.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM

You see a government service and automatically associate union with it. All those Hondas are keeping many Ohioans employed at the Marysville plant there in Ohio and that is non-union. Are you ok with that?

Seems a bit inconsistent on your part.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Besides you do not know who made the decision to buy the Nissans...was it a union or a city manager or mayor? A Republican (or Democrat) could have made the contract. The poor worker is just driving the truck the boss gave him.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Outside one's house a car is the biggest purchase most make. I see it as putting my money where my mouth is.

No solidarity The Cleveland Water Department is union.

Mike I didn't know about the Chevy thing. You would think we're better at making trucks and vans but maybe not. The Sprinter - the van for rich plumbers?

Pete
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

A Republican in Cleveland government?

Pete
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Many gov agencies have to take the lowest bidder when making these types of purchases. And, gov spending includes a public voice in the decision making.
I suspect there wasn't one person making the decision for the purchase, but rather, the bureaucratic process that dictated it.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Outside one's house a car is the biggest purchase most make. I see it as putting my money where my mouth is.

No solidarity The Cleveland Water Department is union.

Mike I didn't know about the Chevy thing. You would think we're better at making trucks and vans but maybe not. The Sprinter - the van for rich plumbers?

Pete
You need one o' them newfangled back up cameras for all the backing into your anti union arguments, Pete.lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM

It's usually called a board of alderman or city council or(folks elected by people from their district...)...They usually would accept bids for such purchases...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
It's usually called a board of alderman or city council or(folks elected by people from their district...)...They usually would accept bids for such purchases...

Those folks, the city council or other governing body, has to listen to and consider the recommendation of the panel that reviews the bids and then give approval for the purchase.
The panel reviewing the bids could be be anyone depending on the way the funding is structured and/or being spent.