Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

If Political Chat was the movie Stripes I think you would be Psycho Chas.....
I am more like the Bill Murray character (Winger) in my mind but of course I think in reality I fit the John Candy character more.

I meant Franics...lol sorry
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Area Man

I've just returned from a trip to lovely Warren, Ohio. Hmmm.........

Suburbs of the Youngstown/Warren Metropolitan area seem to be shining up a bit. Actual growth and new businesses and stuff like that. I was surprised at Niles, it's actually looking like a nice place to live, once again.

The cities themselves? Not so much. The west end of Warren is shockingly run down, all sorts of boarded up businesses and abandoned, delapidated homes. Tod Avenue at night is a friggin' zoo. Hookers and drug dealers operating right out in the open. The feds swept through Warren back in April/May and arrested dozens of people in a narcotics sting. Dealers, suppliers, traffickers.......their faces filled an entire page in Sundays paper. Everything from small time marijuana & crack dealers to two women who were charged with wholesale distribution of heroin. Supposedly, the two are major league and face 20 years in prison.

The Warren ploice department is broke and down to 2 officers on patrol for each shift. Not good for a city with ~40,000 residents.

My hometown, Newton Falls, has scarcely changed for better or worse in the last 20-30 years.

Dave
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Yeah the small cities have lost the tax base. My neighborhood was the newest in my hometown of Vermilion in the 1960s and 1970s but the streets are so bad now and it looks way run down...because of the loss of the Lorain Ford Assembly plant.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've just returned from a trip to lovely Warren, Ohio. Hmmm.........

Suburbs of the Youngstown/Warren Metropolitan area seem to be shining up a bit. Actual growth and new businesses and stuff like that. I was surprised at Niles, it's actually looking like a nice place to live, once again.

The cities themselves? Not so much. The west end of Warren is shockingly run down, all sorts of boarded up businesses and abandoned, delapidated homes. Tod Avenue at night is a friggin' zoo. Hookers and drug dealers operating right out in the open. The feds swept through Warren back in April/May and arrested dozens of people in a narcotics sting. Dealers, suppliers, traffickers.......their faces filled an entire page in Sundays paper. Everything from small time marijuana & crack dealers to two women who were charged with wholesale distribution of heroin. Supposedly, the two are major league and face 20 years in prison.

The Warren ploice department is broke and down to 2 officers on patrol for each shift. Not good for a city with ~40,000 residents.

My hometown, Newton Falls, has scarcely changed for better or worse in the last 20-30 years.

Dave
Welcome home, Dave. Fire up that 9300 Maggie and spin up or reel up some tunes, man. Glad to hear that Ohio hasn't completely gone to the dogs.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Welcome home, Dave. Fire up that 9300 Maggie and spin up or reel up some tunes, man. Glad to hear that Ohio hasn't completely gone to the dogs.
Actually, on average the area looks a bit better than it has in decades. The contrast between the bad and better areas is far more pronounced now.

If that makes any sense..........................

Dave
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Actually, on average the area looks a bit better than it has in decades. The contrast between the bad and better areas is far more pronounced now.

If that makes any sense..........................

Dave
It makes perfect sense. It's that nasty "Fuck you, Jack. I've got mine" mentality that has replaced empathy in this country.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yeah the small cities have lost the tax base. My neighborhood was the newest in my hometown of Vermilion in the 1960s and 1970s but the streets are so bad now and it looks way run down...because of the loss of the Lorain Ford Assembly plant.
There are a few new manufacturing type employers and quite a bit of service industry bussinesses popping up recently. But the traditional industries continue to decline. Delphi (Packard Electric) is just about totally gone. G.E. is gone after making flourescent lights there since 1911 and RG Steel (Former Republic mill.) is idled. So, right now, it's a mixed bag.

The future could go either way.

I'm hoping it goes up.

Dave
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
There are a few new manufacturing type employers and quite a bit of service industry bussinesses popping up recently. But the traditional industries continue to decline. Delphi (Packard Electric) is just about totally gone. G.E. is gone after making flourescent lights there since 1911 and RG Steel (Former Republic mill.) is idled. So, right now, it's a mixed bag.

The future could go either way.

I'm hoping it goes up.

Dave
Few months ago I ordered a another set of Matco impact sockets. I had the shallow and deep sets already in 3/8'' and 1/2'' drives, but wanted a set of 3/8'' drive semi-deep metrics. I was thrilled to see them roll-stamped U.S.A. as my others before had no COO on them, just said Matco. I don't know that the others were made elsewhere ( as the COO isn't on them ), but for the cost I always hoped they wasn't offshore. I feel better seeing the last order stamped USA.