Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The amp uses (4) 6LR8 outputs, and (2) 5V4 rectifier tubes. The 6LR8’s are the "compactron" tubes that the boys in the AK DIY forum are getting all fired up about over the last year or two.
6LR8s?

Hmmmmmmm. Might have to check the vault. See iffin' I gots any up in there.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, he's thinking about how to advise people for a year from now, not in 90 days, and for sure not in five days.

There are no set guidelines at this point. And the government keeps moving the goalposts.

It's a fucking cabbage headed mess. Don't you get that?

Chas
Meh, Rome wasn't built in a day and no I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I was pushed.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I have some RB-5s that are really nice
Had a pair of those and loved them. Like a dumb ass, I sold them when I had to downsize my gear under wife's orders. Still miss them!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Had a pair of those and loved them. Like a dumb ass, I sold them when I had to downsize my gear under wife's orders. Still miss them!

I think they are good with tubes and SS....not harsh to me...the voice is way out front too but in a good way.......

The Klispch SB-3 is smaller and much less expensive and sounds really good too....even the high end with that one seems better than the RB-5s to me sometimes...if you come across these cheap grab them.

yeah my wife is upset too
Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Nah! I owned a pair of rf-7’s for a while, and still own a pair of rf-3’s. I've had them on tube and SS amps, and didn't experience boomy bass. In your case, who knows? Maybe a different strokes thing, maybe the room, maybe upstream gear incompatibility? Or maybe I just got lucky.

Hung out with Craig O one afternoon and had them hooked up to a pair of his VRD's. Sweet!
Now there's a guy I'd like to hang out with. Been lusting after VRD's since I went to my friend sheltiedave's years ago back home and heard the TWO pair he has fronted by a Juicy Music Blue Berry!

VRD's and one of Craig's new tube pre's would be an end game system. I'm pretty close now (imo) but still lust for that combo.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That's what I never liked about Klipsch......well, the old line, anyhow. Those damned icepick tweeters. I've seen people replace them with domes. A bit less efficient that way, but you're not an aural stabbing victim when the music stops.

The Altec horns are nice. I had a set of A7s once with the 511 horns and 902 Tangerines. Very nice. Even the 808-8a was nice and smooth, albeit a tad too rolled off on top for my taste.

Now, I run the Selenium 220ti blowing though PE waveguides. A lot of resonance, so I dampened the backside of the horns with that thick conduit putty...about 2lbs on each horn. Even then, there was a looooong break I period on the drivers.
After about 100 hours.........they sound very nice.

Dave
I definitely found Cornwalls to be the least favorite Klipsch speakers I've heard. They are great for picking up cheap and selling for a fair profit to get something good though.

You really need to come for a vacation to the desert. The Forte's would change your mind I'm sure. I have the Ti tweets and the ALK networks in them. So sweet with the tube rig