Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:24 PM
Admin

Only +266,000 jobs in April

Sounds like all the more reason to get Biden's 'Jobs Plan' pushed through Congress. The Naranja Nazi got a 'yuge' tax break plan that feathered the nests of rich and famous while the regular working stiffs got bupkus.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...-april-rebound
Old 05-08-2021, 07:40 AM

I hope you are right bobabode and that the democrats can push the Jobs Plan through. On the other hand, there are those who say the low job rate in April is evidence that the stimulus money is keeping people from seeking work. While it is probably true, there are a few who fall into that category, I think the majority of people want to work but have other barriers.
Childcare is the first thought that comes to mind. But, also, I think there are those who feel their health would be at risk at their workplace due to limited resources to guard against the virus. The person who sits behind a desk all day wouldn't be as exposed as the cashier or waitress who deals with many people constantly.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Area Man

Conservatives are blaming it on the stimulus and unemployment payouts. I blame it on the failure of employers to offer sufficient incentive. We all know they don't really give a damn about incentive or they never would have cut starting pay before creating their incentive plans as many of them did. No, they'd rather cut off unemployment pay and starve people back into the workforce.

This is the true nature of American Conservatism and it's ugly.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Conservatives are blaming it on the stimulus and unemployment payouts. I blame it on the failure of employers to offer sufficient incentive. We all know they don't really give a damn about incentive or they never would have cut starting pay before creating their incentive plans as many of them did. No, they'd rather cut off unemployment pay and starve people back into the workforce.

Some of the ugliness I see from Repub politicians:

> Never let facts get in the way when blaming Dems for something.

> Falsely claim that a higher minimum wage costs jobs.

> Fall all over each other to give tax breaks to the rich.

> Cut funding to the IRS so the IRS doesn't have the budget to catch rich tax cheats.

And that's just scratching the surface.
_

Last edited by Mark B; 05-08-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Area Man

"Only"? Remember when that was a fairly good number? It really wasn't that long ago.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Only the conservatives would reason the people would prefer a one time (stimulus) check over a regular paycheck. Or that the extra unemployment money has turned the nation into a bunch of layabouts.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Only the conservatives would reason the people would prefer a one time (stimulus) check over a regular paycheck. Or that the extra unemployment money has turned the nation into a bunch of layabouts.
There don't seem to be many conservatives here to address that so let me enlighten you. As a conservative myself and surrounded by a lot of them in my travels I can tell you this:

The first point is false. The opposite is true. However, if the government is going to throw free money at everyone, I want my share, if only to throw it into a savings account to use to pay the taxes - or help offset the price inflation - that I'll be required to pay to offset the payment.

Regarding the second part, you are absolutely correct, but I wouldn't use the "layabouts" description. Rather, when the government pays you more to not work than an employer pays you to work, you are likely to just go for the government payments, especially if you don't spend a lot of time looking at the big picture and long term consequences.

But the free fed money for unemployment will be ending soon - and so will the labor shortage. This assumes they don't increase it again.

This is the position of all the conservatives I've discussed this with. All of them.

Last edited by Not Insane; 05-10-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
"Only"? Remember when that was a fairly good number? It really wasn't that long ago.
It was a good number when the unemployment rate was low, not "that long ago" (the Trump years). To use an example, when 100K are looking for work, and 75k find work, that is pretty good. When a million are looking for work, and 85k find work, that's not so good.

Last edited by Not Insane; 05-10-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 AM

Well, its nice to know we have a conduit for ALL conservatives and what their position is.

Now.........back to reality.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Well, its nice to know we have a conduit for ALL conservatives and what their position is.

Now.........back to reality.
This post is why most don't bother posting here, and I rarely do myself. It's a small watercooler crowd that is, in essence, a PG-13 version of DU.

If they added a rule to make ad hominem attacks a bannable offence it would change the political climate here dramatically. I've seen it before on other sites.

But as long as a reasonable post is simply followed up by ad-hom attacks, this site just slips farther and farther into "leftist bubble" territory.

BTW, when I said "all", I meant the ones in my inner circle - which is pretty large and spans a lot of states. There are outliers for all belief systems. So I'm not a conduit for all conservatives. They don't think in lockstep, though they do adhere to certain principles in lockstep. That's what makes them conservatives.