Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The point was;

These right-wing windbags around here constantly bellow about how they hate the federal government, yet the federal government is by far the largest employer in the state and has been for decades. Without it, these morons wouldn't have a pot to piss in. They'd still be picking cotton and subsisting off of the Crab trade.

They're Republicans, and they're living high off of your tax money, dj. Get the picture?

Dave
... and Arizona gets $1.19 back for every dollar paid in Federal tax. Poor dears.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
... and Arizona gets $1.19 back for every dollar paid in Federal tax. Poor dears.
True of most red states.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM

For a simple reason....the top 10% in income receive 45% of the income and pay 67% of all Federal income taxes. According to the IRS statistics for 2010, these are returns with AGI over $113,000.

Where do most of these people live? New York, California....
Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Being from Missouri, I'd like to thank ya'll for the handsome return on our taxes.

Of course, if you were to base the B2's somewhere else, shut down Fort Lost in the Woods, and cut the welfare for the corporate farmers, we wouldn't be getting shit.

Chas
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Jigsawed

Here in Brooklyn the rate is 8.2 but on the surface people seems to be doing well. I notice a lot of late model cars clogging the streets, name brand clothes are still in vogue and the area seems to be attracting more working whites. The big employer here is education and health care services. On almost every corner someone is selling or promoting some health service. However that alone cannot explain the apparent well being of the populace. I suspect that there is a thriving underground economy.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Here in Brooklyn the rate is 8.2 but on the surface people seems to be doing well. I notice a lot of late model cars clogging the streets, name brand clothes are still in vogue and the area seems to be attracting more working whites. The big employer here is education and health care services. On almost every corner someone is selling or promoting some health service. However that alone cannot explain the apparent well being of the populace. I suspect that there is a thriving underground economy.
On one hand the tough times have caused an increase in drug activity and related violence in Philadelphia.

On the other hand, especially in the suburbs, new cars, electronics and nice clothes abound. There's no recovery to see really because the only people hurt by the downturn were the poorest of the poor.

Ironically, most of them are republicans.

There really is merit in the understanding that different parts of the country have been effected differently by the downturn. I live in an area where the only reason you don't have a job is because you haven't been looking hard enough. I just moved home from the Florida panhandle, which is agrarian with no centers of commerce, no infrastructure for the poor to get around, and no service sector to benefit the wealthier and employ the poor. Other than McDonalds and Walmart that is

Last edited by RamblinE; 03-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl1 View Post
For a simple reason....the top 10% in income receive 45% of the income and pay 67% of all Federal income taxes. According to the IRS statistics for 2010, these are returns with AGI over $113,000.

Where do most of these people live? New York, California....
Sorry but I think you might have that backwards; they pay 45% of all income taxes but receive 67% of the income.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-25-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinE View Post
no infrastructure for the poor to get around,
That is the main cry from some New Yorkers who returned from Florida.

Here in Brooklyn gentrification is gathering steam, but people seem to be
ok with it. I quess it improves the cultural/artistic atmosphere....more avenues for live jazz and book clubs.

There must be something going on in this economy. The kids are wearing designers clothes accented with expensive Beats headphones and there is nowhere to park these shiny new cars!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
That is the main cry from some New Yorkers who returned from Florida.

Here in Brooklyn gentrification is gathering steam, but people seem to be
ok with it. I quess it improves the cultural/artistic atmosphere....more avenues for live jazz and book clubs.

There must be something going on in this economy. The kids are wearing designers clothes accented with expensive Beats headphones and there is nowhere to park these shiny new cars!
No! You're imagining it! It's all a big lie! Americans are dumpster diving and eating their own pets! We're all beaten down and horribly oppressed! Come on, man, get with the program!

Dave
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ramblin, are you saying that the poor in a metro area are Republicans? I've never seen that. There's whole districts in Cleveland were McCain didn't recieve a single vote.

Pete