Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Abby Normal

Why are Republicans such cowards?

Every time I turn around I see a republican in fear.

Now the latest, it is to dangerous to place terrorists on trial in NYC.

Honest, what is up with that?

When did the Cheney doctrine "Keep them scared and they will follow" become the theme song of the right?

I find it so surreal and absurd that the same group that loves to talk about how tough they are when draped in guns are scared of their own shadow.

What is up with that?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

They are not in the least scared, but they are just trotting out their usual FUD scenario in hopes of scaring the hoi poloi.

To say that 9/11 constituted war crimes bestows the staus of nationhood on al-queda whereas they are simply a gang of criminal thugs. It is all the current "newspeak"; war on drugs, war on crime, war on terror, pure and unmitigated bull crap.

Frex, if there really was a war on drugs they know exactly where the drug lords live, give me a couple of Predators and Hellfire missiles and I'll show you war. If those creeps can murder nine year old babies they deserve no quarter nor do their families, they will only grow up to be as evil as the parents.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Allow me to give you a different perspective. Trying them in a civilian criminal court, whether in NY or any other state in the country is going to cause this to go on and on and on.

Yes, I am well aware that they have been held forever and a day already, but this is going to be a dog & pony show the likes of the OJ trial.

It will afford them the rights equal to those of a citizen, though they are not and IMHO they nor anyone else who is not a citizen should enjoy those rights, even in our courts.

Lets us just look at the whole venue issue, where oh where will we be able to find a jury pool that is not bias or has no prior knowledge of the event???

Then we will have to watch the games about evidence, and what will be argued about national security.

Then months of trial, much to the love of the media, and on to the endless appeal processes. With any luck this show may be over before your children reach your current age.

In this case a military trial would help control a lot of the bullshit we are going to be subjected to.

Were I to have my way, they would be tried Judge Roy Bean style, executed by beheading if guilty and the parts buried seperate from each other, but then I'm just another arrogant American Ass.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Even FDR tried German spies in a tribunal and shot them.

On American soil to boot. We didn't used to monkey around.

Pete
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Even FDR tried German spies in a tribunal and shot them.

On American soil to boot. We didn't used to monkey around.

Pete
The rules of war governing the treatment of spies isn't what we're dealing with here. We're dealing with criminals, mass murderers.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 11-18-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

A lot of Constitution this or that. If that were true, how did the guys who wrote the darn thing allow military tribunals?

Pete
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
A lot of Constitution this or that.
Yeah, as "W" said, "It's just a God-damned piece of paper."

Quote:
If that were true, how did the guys who wrote the darn thing allow military tribunals?

Pete
Military tribunals are authorized specifically to try members of enemy military forces in wartime. They exist to try cases brought by the military.

The defendants are not part of a military. We are not in a declared war. The charges against the suspects were not brought by the military.

The events of 9/11 were crimes. They need to be tried in civilian courts as crimes.

John
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
Allow me to give you a different perspective. Trying them in a civilian criminal court, whether in NY or any other state in the country is going to cause this to go on and on and on.
This is not the reason sited for the hostile GOP response.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

As if it has not gone on and on already? The Germas during WW II were tried in a military court because we were at war with a nation, - Germany. Those followers of bin Laden are not a nation, merely a gang of thugs.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
It'll take as long as it needs to. Justice has to be done, consistent with our laws and the constitution. We need to live in accordance with our principles, not to "show the world" but, frankly, to show people who think as you do that there is another and better way.

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware that they have been held forever and a day already, but this is going to be a dog & pony show the likes of the OJ trial.
There are ways to prevent that. We could create a press pool so that the freedom of the press could be preserved but TMZ, ET, etc. wouldn't be there to turn things into a circus

Quote:
It will afford them the rights equal to those of a citizen, though they are not and IMHO they nor anyone else who is not a citizen should enjoy those rights, even in our courts.
The constitution disagrees. Everyone, no matter what their citizenship, is entitled to due process in our courts.

Quote:
Lets us just look at the whole venue issue, where oh where will we be able to find a jury pool that is not bias or has no prior knowledge of the event???
That could be a problem but you seem to be suggesting that it's okay to toss out the constitution if adhering to is proves a little too hard or complicated.

The constitution requires that a trial be conducted in the place where the crime occurred. You can request a change of venue but I don't think Guantanamo would qualify.

Quote:
Then we will have to watch the games about evidence, and what will be argued about national security.
You mean how we obtained confessions and things like that? We've tried somewhere between 150 and 200 terror suspects in our Federal court system with a conviction rate right around 100%. Security considerations have been raised by federal prosecutors and addressed adequately by the courts in those trials.

Quote:
Then months of trial, much to the love of the media, and on to the endless appeal processes. With any luck this show may be over before your children reach your current age.

In this case a military trial would help control a lot of the bullshit we are going to be subjected to.
Secret trials? They're unconstitutional.

Quote:
Were I to have my way, they would be tried Judge Roy Bean style, executed by beheading if guilty and the parts buried seperate from each other, but then I'm just another arrogant American Ass.
That sounds more like Osama style to me.

When we begin acting like the terrorists we're losing.

EDIT: which means we've been losing since day 1.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 11-18-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added content