Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Say, is it just out here in lib land that you can drop unwanted infants off no questions asked at police dept, fire dept, and hospitals?

Just curious, I sure am happy we have that here in any case.

Carl
Every state has some variation of the safe baby surrender legislation. Texas was the first state to enact such a law if my memory is correct.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Area Man

Here, they find babies, sometimes alive, sometimes not, in dumpsters and other extemely undesirable locations. Occasionally, someone will leave one on the steps at a police station or hospital, but I don't know if we have an actual public program for this. If not, we should. I know we have a private charity hospital, Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters, that will take them in. In fact, I believe that's where child welfare takes them if they go unclaimed or family is not found.

http://www.chkd.org/

It's where I make all of my thrift donations. Sometimes, I buy music there, record it and redonate it, so they can sell it again. Just my way of helping out.

Kudos to Texas and California.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-23-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Not long ago, there was an incident near where I live where a young girl brought her baby to the fire department and they accepted it.
Then, somebody noted that local law identified hospitals and churches as safe places to surrender a child, but fire stations were not specifically listed.
Law enforcement briefly considered charging her with child abandonment but public sentiment favored the young girl as her intent was for a safe surrender.
The law was amended to include fire stations.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm meeting with someone for dinner and a movie tomorrow. Thing is, we work in the same place, different shifts, different departments, when she's at work, I'm off and vice-versa. We never see each other there. She commutes 30 miles to the west, I commute 30 miles to the east, separated by 60 miles.

This has been going on for several years.

Dave
Ah but you two have the internet, e-mail, Skype, instant feedback. With us it was the post office or the phone companies. Sometimes my letters took two weeks to get to her. So how do you think I reacted when a lovely woman who has not seen all of my declarations as yet but declares her unconditional love?
Well how would you expect a man who has walked the borders of hell to react to an offer of Heaven.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

'You're a poet and don't know it '

Pete
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

In case you wonder at how a courtship by post works, here are the letters

Last edited by merrylander; 07-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
In case you wonder at how a courtship by post works, here are the letters
I would like to express my admiration for your character, as you truly understand what is valuable in this life.

Chas
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would like to express my admiration for your character, as you truly understand what is valuable in this life.

Chas
The unconditional love of a good woman is priceless.

We met in the east coast blizzard of Feb 11-12 1983, both off the road stranded in a hotel lobby. She semed rather nervous so I offered her my protection throughout that night. This past Feb 12 I brought home a bottle of champagne to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that meeting. She does admit that I had/have a way with words.

Out of curiousity I counted them - there are 61 letters in the first stack and 42 in the second for a total of 103. After the 31st letter I asked her to marry me and she said yes, the rest were just staying in touch while I worked out the details of how to support my ex and then find another job to support us.

Last edited by merrylander; 05-17-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Resident octogenarian

Putting all the letters into a context by recalling what was said in the phone calls has been tiring. I did not realize when I started this story for our granddaughters just how emotional the trip down memory lane would be.