Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 AM

artifical life??

This was on AK, probably most of you have seen it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_a...t/10132762.stm

What say you?

I think maybe ultra scary is my first reaction.

Which party gets the vote of the synthetic human(when accomplished)? Or are they allowed to vote?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Yep. Despite my silly, flippant comment Over There, I think that there's a VERY good reason that there's NOT an intermediate species between us & the other great apes...We would have undoubtedly enslaved/abused them long ago. Our track record w/treatment of other species, let's face it, is NOT very good, saying nothing about the stellar way we treat each other....
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yep. Despite my silly, flippant comment Over There, I think that there's a VERY good reason that there's NOT an intermediate species between us & the other great apes...We would have undoubtedly enslaved/abused them long ago. Our track record w/treatment of other species, let's face it, is NOT very good, saying nothing about the stellar way we treat each other....
Well heck, I thought we were the stewards of the earth. These creatures were put here for us to enjoy and use as we see fit. They are just DUMB animals right? We have souls and they don't, right?

I gotta admit, I twinge a bit as I wrote that - even though it is totally meant with sarcasm.

EDIT: My lack of sensitivity and regard for the religious right on this post is unacceptable. My apologies if I offended anyone.
Mark

Last edited by JCricket; 05-21-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If a cow is equal to a human we're all burning in hell.

If it's not then it's just a matter of degree. Don't feel too guilty

It's about time we figured out how to manipulate organic machines (of which we are one). You could say it's how God does it.

Think about it, purpose designed and built self repairing machines, and enviromentally friendly (organic). Program the DNA, it assembles itself out of a vat of chemicals. Seriously cool stuff.

Pete
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 AM

Well, you could stretch this just a little. Say you extraced your or my DNA. In put it inot a cell and implant that into a uterous. Walla, cloned. Now that opens a can of worms. Ethically, politically, and legally. The imagination of possibilities is endless.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I wouldn't want a copy of myself around. Self righteous ass who's always right, it would drive me insane

My SO would divorce us both

Outside of wacko sci-fi cults with scary looking female spokesmen, it's unlikey to happen for a while. I agree though, interesting proposition. And no, I doubt they could vote until the natural person is dead - one man, one vote lol.

You know somewhere some loons are attempting human cloning. I'd hate to see their, um, attempts. Hope it haunts them.

Pete

PS - no apologies needed If that's the worst then you're one of the site gentlemen, seriously. Cheers.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I wouldn't want a copy of myself around. Self righteous ass who's always right, it would drive me insane
Hmm, so would you always be a yes man with yourself or fight insanely because you would both always be right? That makes me nuts!

I wonder, if they can do this, how close they are to actually finding the "life force" that distinguishes inanimate cells to living cells?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

At least our musical tastes would be the same

I've thought about the artifical life thing. What it comes down to in my mind is, how do you know? If 'it' acts exactly like the 'real' thing....

AI is a good example. Pretty soon they'll have programs that seem human discussionwise etc. how do you know? (I cloned that statement from the last paragraph )

Maybe if you solve a bunch of murder mysteries with parter R Daneel Olivaw on various worlds you might get an inkling

Pete
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM

This is fantastic. Amazing implications. I'm really excited to hear about it.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Think about it, purpose designed and built self repairing machines, and enviromentally friendly (organic). Program the DNA, it assembles itself out of a vat of chemicals. Seriously cool stuff.

Pete
If you think organic machines are environmentally friendly, it's clear that you have never been in the vicinity of a pig farm.

We humans are some of the most environmentally unfriendly beings, not e,ven taking into account all of the pollution caused by the machines we build. We eat meat, which requires enormous agricultural resources to produce; our waste is a huge source of disease; we're constantly expelling carbon monoxide - we're just a mess.

Regards,

D-Ray