Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Funny, the SCOTUS is actually probably the most evenly divided branch of Government we have at the moment. Even after upholding the ACA you still feel it is too conservative. Unless Republican's take the white house and the Senate in the next decade, I would imagine Kennedy and Scalia will be the next to go, and will likely be replaced with more liberal justices. Just be patient, you will probably get what you want.
Libertarians are not for plutocracy?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
reflexionar

Just saying, no matter what happens, we still need to have conservatives checks in the government. The nation can't afford to be completely liberal.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Funny, the SCOTUS is actually probably the most evenly divided branch of Government we have at the moment. Even after upholding the ACA you still feel it is too conservative. Unless Republican's take the white house and the Senate in the next decade, I would imagine Kennedy and Scalia will be the next to go, and will likely be replaced with more liberal justices. Just be patient, you will probably get what you want.
I don't feel that it is too conservative, but rather that it has forgotten its role in government. The Roberts court is possiibly the most activist court we have ever had. They are simply supposed to decide does legislation comply with the Constitution. It is the function of Congress to come up with the legislation. It would also help if the jurists were familiar with the English language.

Also I do not object to jurists such as Scalia because of his politics but because of his abyssmal arrogance. He should keep his religion to himself while sitting on the bench.

Last edited by merrylander; 10-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I don't feel that it is too conservative, but rather that it has forgotten its role in government. The Roberts court is possiibly the most activist court we have ever had. They are simply supposed to decide does legislation comply with the Constitution. It is the function of Congress to come up with the legislation. It would also help if the jurists were familiar with the English language.

Also I do not object to jurists such aa Scalia because of hs politics but because of his abyssmal arrogance. He should keep his religion to himself while sitting on the bench.
Seems that plague applies more and more to all 3 branches. Nation's going to Hell, I tell ya'.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Seems that plague applies more and more to all 3 branches. Nation's going to Hell, I tell ya'.
Many would say it has been since it started and many have said that since it started.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Ready

Quote:
Just saying, no matter what happens, we still need to have conservatives checks in the government. The nation can't afford to be completely liberal.
That I much agree with. While the current conservative party has gotten much too extreme, both basic types need the check of the other.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

Coming from Canada and a parliamentary form of government I never quite understood this 'checks and balances' mantra. If the ruling party came out with some blatently stupid idea they usually lost a vote of confidence and so there would be a general election. If the voters also thought it was a stupid idea that party typically was replaced.

The other thing I have never cottoned to is 'advise and consent' and the deal wherby an incoming President has to appoint something like 7000 or 8000 people.

In the first instance it is rather like forming a corporation, selecting your management team, then asking friend and foe alike to give you their blessing.

In the second instance, with so many positions to fill some are bound to go to people who contributed to the President's election and not because they are competent to fill the position. If you complain that government is incompetent there is the reason right there. I much prefer knowing that every post below ministerial is filled by a vetted professional civil servant who was reviewed every step along the way. (BTW the Brookings Institute agrees with me but I have lost the link.)

Last edited by merrylander; 10-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It has always been thus.

Pete
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It has always been thus.

Pete
What was it Einstein said "The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome".

Last edited by merrylander; 10-15-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It has always been thus.

Pete
I beat ya to these one liners. Not to tough of a schtick