Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Admin

My older brother's VW bug lies at the bottom of the Potomac. He parked it on one of the bridges between NoVa and DC and participated in a sitdown strike on the bridge in the early seventies. They bulldozed all of the cars along with the guardrail right into the river. He ended up spending a couple of days in a corral in the outfield of RFK stadium with 30,000 of his friends.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
My older brother's VW bug lies at the bottom of the Potomac. He parked it on one of the bridges between NoVa and DC and participated in a sitdown strike on the bridge in the early seventies. They bulldozed all of the cars along with the guardrail right into the river. He ended up spending a couple of days in a corral in the outfield of RFK stadium with 30,000 of his friends.
I'll bet that was good for the environment.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I'll bet that was good for the environment.
Scuttlebutt at the time was that Nixon (founder of the EPA) personally ordered the dozers in rather than a fleet of towtrucks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_May_Day_Protests

Looks like it was almost 13,000 arrested not 30,000.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Scuttlebutt at the time was that Nixon (founder of the EPA) personally ordered the dozers in rather than a fleet of towtrucks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_May_Day_Protests

Looks like it was almost 13,000 arrested not 30,000.
Impressive number either way. It's not easy arresting 13,000 people without having to shoot a bunch of them. It they hadn't been nice well-behaved middle-class boomers they couldn't have done it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
A bunch of morons with big trucks plan on causing traffic chaos. Well, at least more chaos than usual.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...300_story.html

They must not be doing to damn bad if they can afford to waste an entire working day burning up fuel and making asses of themselves.

Dave

“We saw about 20 of their trucks this morning coming from Route 66 in Virginia into Maryland,” he said. “They were going the speed limit but it was stop and go traffic, and we’ve had six inches of rain for the last two and a half days.

“Nothing materialized,” he said of the truckers protest, which had taken on a life of its own online.

In Virginia, extra troopers were on hand — in part — because of the expected trucker protest. Earlier Friday morning, Virginia police said the trucks traveled in the right lane of the Beltway, keeping pace with other traffic — around 40 to 45 miles per hour, due to the wet road conditions, said Virginia State Police spokesman Corinne N. Geller.

But by mid-morning, she said, the group was becoming harder to track.

“It was pretty much a non-event,” she said. “They continued to comply with the laws. I would think the heavy traffic and the rain made it hard for them to stay together.”

Idiots

Carl
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Ready

But they got to have big fun driving their rigs a bunch of extra miles on urban expressways with wet roads and heavy traffic! I bet they do it again real soon!