Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
So these Tea Party politicians are insane Republicans? Sorry for such basic questions, but I am still learning.
They're akin to the Brownshirts of the '30's in Germany. They're mostly undereducated whites from the southern part of the country (Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, after all) in the thrall of a foreign-born reactionary demagogue (Hitler, Cruz) who love to wrap themselves in the flag and uberpatriotic drivel and are convinced of their nation's exceptionalism (Deutschland uber Alles). They have their own media (Fox/Talk Radio vs. Völkischer Beobachter).

They've been fed a message of resentment and somehow believe we would be better off if we somehow turned back the clock to some halcyon days that never actually existed. They feel put upon by those who don't share the same heritage (Hispanics, gays and blacks vs. Germany's Jews) and that violence may be the answer to their plight (i.e., 2nd Amendment solutions). They used scorched earth intimidation tactics without realizing the long-term damage does to the country and have been supported by the industrialists in their respective countries as a hedge against perceived threats of soci@lism/communism.

Once you discard these similarities, my analogy falls apart.

Last edited by finnbow; 10-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Admin

Beat me to it, Finn.

Welcome to the new Weimar Republic with nukes.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
They're akin to the Brownshirts of the '30's in Germany. They're mostly undereducated whites from the southern part of the country (Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, after all) in the thrall of a foreign-born reactionary demagogue (Hitler, Cruz) who love to wrap themselves in the flag and uberpatriotic drivel and are convinced of their nation's exceptionalism (Deutschland uber Alles). They have their own media (Fox/Talk Radio vs. Völkischer Beobachter).

They've been fed a message of resentment and somehow believe we would be better off if we somehow turned back the clock to some halcyon days that never actually existed. They feel put upon by those who don't share the same heritage (Hispanics, gays and blacks vs. Germany's Jews) and that violence may be the answer to their plight (i.e., 2nd Amendment solutions). They used scorched earth intimidation tactics without realizing the long-term damage does to the country and have been supported by the industrialists in their respective countries as a hedge against perceived threats of soci@lism/communism.

Once you discard these similarities, my analogy falls apart.

So they are in a way Neo-Nazi's - according to your elaboration? You lived in Germany for quite a long time and you know that those ultra right antisocial subjects are at last nothing else than criminals.

Are the tea party freaks really that evil? Heilige Scheisse... I hardly can believe that.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Admin

Quote:
So they are in a way Neo-Nazi's - according to your elaboration? You lived in Germany for quite a long time and you know that those ultra right antisocial subjects are at last nothing else than criminals.

Are the tea party freaks really that evil? Heilige Scheisse... I hardly can believe that.
Naw, they are like this, Chris.

Maybe a little too Nuremburg but....
Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

I wouldn't call them Neo-Nazi's, but the historical parallels are a bit spooky. They're too old and lazy to fully act out their fascist tendencies.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Admin

There are some of them who would make sure that the youth of America are even less educated than themselves. If that is even possible.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
There are some of them who would make sure that the youth of America are even less educated than themselves. If that is even possible.
I think the hard right would fall apart if our education was uniformly excellent across this country. It's no coincidence that most 'Baggers come from the rural south. You have to look long and hard to find a 'Bagger in Cambridge or Palo Alto.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think the hard right would fall apart if our education was uniformly excellent across this country. It's no coincidence that most 'Baggers come from the rural south. You have to look long and hard to find a 'Bagger in Cambridge or Palo Alto.
I've never had any higher education. Hells bells, I quit high school and graduated with a GED with only two weeks of prep but it was in MoCo. I just have had a deep thirst to read. Mebbe when I grow up I'll start studying the classics instead of Heinlein and Asimov?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I've never had any higher education. Hells bells, I quit high school and graduated with a GED with only two weeks of prep but it was in MoCo. I just have had a deep thirst to read. Mebbe when I grow up I'll start studying the classics instead of Heinlein and Asimov?
I didn't say that all dumb rednecks were 'Baggers, just that most 'Baggers are dumb rednecks. FWIW, two weeks of high school in MoCo might be better than two years in 'Bagger country. No speaking in tongues or biting the heads off of snakes around here.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Area Man

Wow. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "Nazis" or "brownshirts"--------yet.

But, after the "discussion" I had today, I can see where it's headed. And, I am waiting for someone to snap.

It is getting nuts.

Dave