Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM

I do broadly disparage The Heritage Foundation as I do any organization created by and for the Koch, Coors and Scaife families, to say nothing of "Goo-Goo" Weyrich. They are the "successor organization" to the John Burch Society which was founded and promoted by many of the same people and families. I consider them to be an organization dedicated to undermining our democracy in favor of a fascistic and oligarchic structure, dedicated to the exploitation of the people for the benefit of the 1%. I consider everything that emanates from the bowels of that organization to be thoroughly tainted by their corrupt ends.

John
Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Admin

Hehehehe..John, I was trying to formulate a response to BH's assertion that his favorite think tanks are legitimate research organizations when I read the above. I could not have put it better.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Here's a good piece by David Brooks illuminating the OP's point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/op...een-story.html
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
It would be nice to have a list if failed businesses that were funded privately for comparison.
There are a bunch of private businesses that fail. You can search the web for venture capital firms and see what start-ups they are funding and which ones eventually tank.

The prime difference, though, between those failed start-ups and the failed green firms listed above is the way the deals are structured. The green failures are joint ventures between government (taxpayers) and venture capital. When the green firms fail we (taxpayers) foot part of the loss. On the other hand if they succeed then VC keeps all of the profit.

The game is rigged such that we (taxpayers) never win. We only lose. It's so************************m for the rich.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Here's a good piece by David Brooks illuminating the OP's point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/op...een-story.html
That is an excellent piece by David Brooks.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I do broadly disparage The Heritage Foundation as I do any organization created by and for the Koch, Coors and Scaife families, to say nothing of "Goo-Goo" Weyrich. They are the "successor organization" to the John Burch Society which was founded and promoted by many of the same people and families. I consider them to be an organization dedicated to undermining our democracy in favor of a fascistic and oligarchic structure, dedicated to the exploitation of the people for the benefit of the 1%. I consider everything that emanates from the bowels of that organization to be thoroughly tainted by their corrupt ends.

John
Nicely stated, John.
Bravo, Old Boy!

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Hehehehe..John, I was trying to formulate a response to BH's assertion that his favorite think tanks are legitimate research organizations when I read the above. I could not have put it better.
No, I'm supporting all think tanks whether they be on the right or the left. In your opinion, what are legitimate research organizations? Just because one may disagree with the founders and funding does not mean that their research is bad. The advocacy groups are opposed by advocacy groups on the opposite side. For example, Brookings effectively counters Heritage.

I'm of the opinion that it is absolutely great that so much policy information is now available to the average citizen. Once upon a time, policy position papers were only available to those in privileged positions that had subscriptions to the various journals and/or were in academic positions.

Last edited by bhunter; 10-19-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Is all of it just gone tho? I thought Johnson Controls was buying out A123, for instance. Fisker need not fail. Technologies created by these companies still have value. "Fail" can be determined in many ways.
Business failure has even been spun to take on the trappings of success, here in St. Ronnies America. See, we don't want to upset our corporate overlords, lest they become angry and export jobs from the country-----which they do anyways. So, even when some hamfisted buffoon runs his company down the toilet and disenfranchises workers by the tens of thousands, we shower him with adoration and blather on about how he "earned" his golden parachute. Then, he writes books about his methods so future business "leaders" can learn how to be a destructive plant shuttering ass too.

This is the mentality that we plan to implement to create a brighter future for our posterity.....
(Or, would that be our "posterior"?)

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That is an excellent piece by David Brooks.
Agreed.

As an engineer I firmly believe that land use policy has a bigger effect on energy consumption than any other factor. The reason boils down to simple math.

It takes a lot of energy to move butts from one place to another. The less the butts need to be moved the more energy you save.

Old cultures have an advantage in this regard that can't be denied. Their cities were laid out prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine or electricity. Their cities are therefore inherently efficient.

Our cities, and culture, on the other hand were developed with cheap energy as a foundation. It will take a sea change to make even a small improvement on the waste that is in our DNA. Add to that a culture based on making money instead of saving energy and we are in a bad way.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 AM

It's sick to see the likes of Al Gore try to solve the problem. He is stuck in the land of Venture Capital and 7 Habits, namely how to make easy money on saving energy aka win-win.

It can't be done. He knows it. And he chose the easy money.

He's a slick bastard.