Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

While I agree with bhunter on whether or not the government should subsidize green energy companies, it's not as though it's the only industry sector being propped up by the government. The GOP seems pretty adept at showering money on Big Oil and the Military Industrial complex, while both parties shower untold millions in the direction of Big Agriculture.

In short, the parties largely choose to piss away money on their favored constituency. It has always been thus.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Those private businesses lost their INVESTORS money. You know.... Banks and lending institutions.....

Didn't the gov have to bail out a few banks a while back?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
While I agree with bhunter on whether or not the government should subsidize green energy companies, it's not as though it's the only industry sector being propped up by the government. The GOP seems pretty adept at showering money on Big Oil and the Military Industrial complex, while both parties shower untold millions in the direction of Big Agriculture.

In short, the parties largely choose to piss away money on their favored constituency. It has always been thus.
Very well stated!!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM

For a little perspective here, the amount of money represented in the OP is about $10.25 billion. That's just a little less than the average daily expenditure of our government as a whole.

It also is worth noting that only around half of the companies listed are in bankruptcy. Some of them may emerge from the process strongly and the other half may never need to take similar actions.

John
Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
What bibliography?

The first link I clicked on took me to a Fox News story.

John
I was referring to reports produced by Heritage not the above blog post. Their reports, like most policy centers, have a bibliography. For example:
http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...-of-liberalism

Notice the bibliography at the bottom. My point is that you can't discount research coming out of the policy centers. Clearly, some centers are more significant than others. Brookings, AEI, and Heritage are the most notable private think tanks IMHO.

In The Foundry post above, each name linked to a more detailed article on the economic condition of the company.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

Yep, and I'm against all of those subsidies. The idiotic ethanol move is hurting most everyone.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-little-better
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Those private businesses lost their INVESTORS money. You know.... Banks and lending institutions.....

Didn't the gov have to bail out a few banks a while back?
Banks and government have had a special relationship. Arguably, if they weren't so intertwined, those banks ought to have fended for themselves. I can't find a justifiable reason why government ought support one entity just because it happens to be large and was poorly managed. Meaning that, if government and banks weren't proverbially joined at the hip, they ought to have perished or went through normal backruptcy.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I was referring to reports produced by Heritage not the above blog post. Their reports, like most policy centers, have a bibliography. For example:
http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...-of-liberalism

Notice the bibliography at the bottom. My point is that you can't discount research coming out of the policy centers. Clearly, some centers are more significant than others. Brookings, AEI, and Heritage are the most notable private think tanks IMHO.

At the bottom of an unrelated report. This is an old trick anyway. Their footnotes are probably packed with links to other HF studies. It all gets very incestuous. "We're right and we can prove it. Just go to this other study where we said the same thing. See? Told you!"

In The Foundry post above, each name linked to a more detailed article on the economic condition of the company.
Since the Foundry post had no bibliography but linked only to press stories, I have to wonder why you asked in the first place. There's no equivalency between a blog post and a report, even a Heritage Foundation report. That's doubly so for an academic report.

John
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Since the Foundry post had no bibliography but linked only to press stories, I have to wonder why you asked in the first place. There's no equivalency between a blog post and a report, even a Heritage Foundation report. That's doubly so for an academic report.

John
I only brought it up because of your broad statement disparaging Heritage. I was attempting to point out that while there might be a deliiberate slant to policy centers there is also some good research. That brings me to another point. I recently watched "Shattered Glass" a movie that dealt with the New Republic and its disgraced reporter Stephen Glass. I'm now wondering what the standards are for journalists when they write a story? I would assume direct source testimony, witnesses, and prior published stories, but I'm not quite sure. I'm fairly certain that there is a large degree of choice in how a story is written and its efficacy.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Is all of it just gone tho? I thought Johnson Controls was buying out A123, for instance. Fisker need not fail. Technologies created by these companies still have value. "Fail" can be determined in many ways.