Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Admin

Exclamation Equifax Hacked - 143 Million Americans At Risk

Before you sign up at Equifax to protect yourself? Read this because you will be agreeing to arbitration and foregoing your rights to sue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.47d2d0414d5e
Old 09-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Admin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e0a6202ca141

Now they're asking for the last six digits of your SS#? Above article is worth a look.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:07 PM

I have not signed up for the credit monitoring offered however they have confirmed both me and my wife's information has been taken.

So what to do? I understand the perpetrators now have the ability to take out a mortgage, credit cards, even apply for social security in our names. What recourse do we have?

This is my beef about big business and it's cozy relationship with politics...or more simply, american capitalism. Here we have a company that compiles my most sensitive personal information for profit, I cannot stop them from doing it, and now they've put everything at risk for me and millions of other people. If someone uses that information I'm the one who has to fix it, if I can. I understand that the banking industry really doesn't give a shit if your identity has been stolen. Your credit is toast. What accountability do they have? History shows none. Yet the party in power wants no consumer protections, and no regulations for business.

Last edited by MrPots; 09-08-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

Now they're asking for the last six digits of your SS#? Above article is worth a look.
Thanks for posting Bob, I may have missed this otherwise.
I am eagerly looking forward to joining in a class action lawsuit. As for signing up and giving them six digits, NFW. I will give them a single digit and guess which finger I am holding up.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:20 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

six digits! WTF
Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I have not signed up for the credit monitoring offered however they have confirmed both me and my wife's information has been taken.

So what to do? I understand the perpetrators now have the ability to take out a mortgage, credit cards, even apply for social security in our names. What recourse do we have?

This is my beef about big business and it's cozy relationship with politics...or more simply, american capitalism. Here we have a company that compiles my most sensitive personal information for profit, I cannot stop them from doing it, and now they've put everything at risk for me and millions of other people. If someone uses that information I'm the one who has to fix it, if I can. I understand that the banking industry really doesn't give a shit if your identity has been stolen. Your credit is toast. What accountability do they have? History shows none. Yet the party in power wants no consumer protections, and no regulations for business.
If the 'confirmation' consisted of a statement that “Your personal information may have been impacted by this incident,” that's apparently what they're telling everyone. This NY Times writer concludes:

Quote:
Equifax has no earthly idea who is affected.
Other good information in this piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/y...l?mcubz=3&_r=0
Old 09-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks, used the links in the NYT article to place a freeze at all four agencies. One of them charged $10 to freeze access to my information, that they already profit from, even though I've never given them permission to use it. Sigh. What a world! Another would only allow a 90 day freeze without documentation of ID theft. Sigh.

If we had a Congress that actually represented us, the consumers, these companies would be required to get our consent for the use of our personal data, and would need to pay us every time it was accessed. Sigh.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 PM

Bastards didn't install a critical security patch in Apache Struts, which Apache published as critical a full two months before the hack. Someone needs to go to jail for criminal negligence, and the principals all need to be fired.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 PM

Two Equifax executives will retire following massive data breach
Quote:
A week after Equifax disclosed it suffered a massive data breach that may have compromised sensitive information belonging to 143 million people, the credit reporting agency's chief information officer, David Webb, and chief security officer, Susan Mauldin, are retiring, effective immediately, the company said in a statement Friday evening.
Wonder the size of the handshake they will be getting, and the new guys will play dumb as usual.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fff36a1b1f4b
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Repubes voted yesterday, with Pence casting the deciding vote, to prevent you from suing these bastards via class action. You’re forced to go through arbitration, with the deck totally stacked in favor of the corporation. The little guy gets screwed yet again. Thanks, Repubes!