Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:28 PM
Admin

Former Md. Governor Throws Hat In The Senate Race

"WASHINGTON — Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced Friday that he will be running for U.S. Senate for Maryland.

Hogan, a Republican, joins a competitive field of candidates looking to fill the seat that will be left open after Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., retires at the end of his third term this year. Politico first reported on Hogan's move."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...fc3ddc52&ei=87

So, is Larry is keeping his name recognition up for a Hogan/Christie presidential ticket in 2028?
Old 02-09-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"WASHINGTON — Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced Friday that he will be running for U.S. Senate for Maryland.

Hogan, a Republican, joins a competitive field of candidates looking to fill the seat that will be left open after Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., retires at the end of his third term this year. Politico first reported on Hogan's move."

So, is Larry is keeping his name recognition up for a Hogan/Christie presidential ticket in 2028?
That must be it. Hogan has zero chance of getting elected again in MD. Although I voted for him as Gov., towards the end of his term he stated that he didn't think tRump should be impeached. After that I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

He was very well liked here and did a competent, generally non-controversial job as Governor. I like him just fine, but I don't want to give up a Senate seat to today's gutless, feckless GOP. Despite Hogan's cred in the Free State, I'd give his likely opponent, David Trone, the edge.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:51 AM

Bottom line he would could be the one to push the Senate into the Cult's and McConnel's control.....
Old 02-10-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He was very well liked here and did a competent, generally non-controversial job as Governor. I like him just fine, but I don't want to give up a Senate seat to today's gutless, feckless GOP. Despite Hogan's cred in the Free State, I'd give his likely opponent, David Trone, the edge.
I agree with the first part. However at this point Repubs need to be flushed from our government. To few remaining to regenerate the party. Given his stance on tRump IMO that makes him unfit for public office.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:39 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
I agree with the first part. However at this point Repubs need to be flushed from our government. To few remaining to regenerate the party. Given his stance on tRump IMO that makes him unfit for public office.
Hogan is hardly pro-Trump. I put his ideology and views on Trump akin to those of Romney or Manchin. Indeed, if Hogan were the face and ideological posterchild for the Republican party, I might well be a Republican. Indeed, when the Maryland GOP chose the MAGAMoron Dan Cox to run as Hogan's successor, Hogan referred to him as "mentally unstable" and a "QAnon whack job" and posed for pictures with Wes Moore, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate.

The GOP desperately needs regeneration and it could do a lot worse than doing so around folks like Hogan. That said, I'll still vote for Trone because the GOP doesn't deserve any consideration whatsoever until they dump Trump.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:49 AM

I don't think the GOP as it is can be regenerated. The GOP electorate is being led right off a cliff by party extremists and moderates are being driven out of the party. Just my opinion mind you, but I see them eventually going the way of the Whigs.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:18 PM

The way I see it there is the Conservative Old Guard Republican some in active opposition others being passively compliant hoping it will pass. This MAGA Cult wing sailing the GOP ship.

Problem is the Tea Party morphed into the MAGA Cult and much like other cancers. Without treatment of the underling causes will only grow in size. Overtaking the body and killing its host in the end.

If Trump were to leave the stage tomorrow the damage is done. He is not smart enough to be in charge now. Those who are running it will still be here.

Last edited by Oerets; 02-10-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:41 PM

tRump is merely the symptom of the disease.