Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 PM

George is looking down indeed...............

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old 06-05-2020, 08:45 PM

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Lashing out at critics who have charged him with building a wall around the White House to protect himself from peaceful protesters, Donald Trump claimed on Friday that the purpose of the wall is to prevent staffers from quitting en masse.

“The wall is not to keep people out. It’s to keep people in,” Trump angrily told reporters. “If anyone thinks he’s going to quit this White House, he’s going to have to climb over a ten-foot wall first.”

Trump added that he was considering invoking the Insurrection Act of 1807 to put down further rebellions by the Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper.

“Between the wall and the Insurrection Act, no one is getting out,” he said. “No one.”

Trump also dismissed reports that he had spent much of the week hiding under his desk.

“I have been inspecting the area under my desk,” he said. “There are no problems.”

Last edited by Chicks; 06-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:50 PM

We are witnessing the birth of a movement — and the downfall of a president*
We've reached a turning point in the Trump era. The 2020 campaign is in the streets and he's losing

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/06/we-...f-a-president/

Quote:
But even more extraordinary than the retired officers who spoke out was the letter from the current chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Mark A. Milley, which was leaked to conservative pundit Bill Kristol on Thursday. Milley is said to have had a contentious meeting with Trump in the Oval Office on Monday before joining him in his infamous "walk" down the street cleared by police and National Guard soldiers. According to David Ignatius of the Washington Post, Milley, "whose temper can match Trump's...was vocal in reiterating his advice to the president against mobilizing troops, according to three knowledgeable sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity." That is Washington-speak for "they were yelling at each other."

Sent to all of the other chiefs of staff for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and commanders of combatant commands, Milley's letter is unlike anything I have seen, and I've been around the military since I was born in an Army field hospital in occupied Japan in 1947.

He reminded everyone in uniform of their oath to support and defend the Constitution. I've never seen that done before. All service members take the same oath, but they don't go around reminding each other about it. Milley wrote of the Constitution, "This document is founded on the essential principles that all men and women are born free and equal, and should be treated with respect and dignity. It also gives Americans the right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly. We in uniform — all branches, all components, all ranks — remain committed to our national values and principles embedded in the Constitution." He went on to note specifically that the National Guard "is operating under the authority of state governors."

For a military man, this comes close to a call for insurrection. Milley's message is written in a code that everyone in uniform will understand implicitly. By reminding every member of the military that the soldiers currently deployed on the street around the country are not there under the authority of the president, and by reminding them of their oath to the Constitution, he is telling them that the military will not be carrying out any un-American orders issued by Donald Trump. Late Friday, Secretary of Defense Esper disarmed the National Guard doing riot duty in Washington, ordering them to turn in their weapons and ammunition. He also ordered all active duty troops amassed outside the capital earlier in the week by the White House to be sent home. He issued both orders without consulting the White House.

These generals are not politicians, but all their statements are as political as any I've ever seen by senior officers, retired or active duty. It's the equivalent of lining up howitzers on Pennsylvania Avenue and aiming at the White House.

I'll bet Trump rues the day he appointed "Mad Dog" Mattis as secretary of defense. They don't go out and make statements like this without talking to one another. Mullen and Mattis were said to have been aware of Milley's confrontation with the president at the time they wrote their articles on Tuesday and Wednesday. Milley and his fellow generals and admirals are giving a clear sign that the military leaders are turning against Trump. Colin Powell will reportedly be next, in an appearance on one of the Sunday morning shows.

The military is the most reliably conservative institution this country has. But inside the military establishment, the signals are being sent. They have announced that they are more reliable as defenders of the rights of their fellow citizens than the police. Without stepping over the line into insubordination, they have made it as clear as they can that their loyalty isn't to the president. It's to the Constitution.

I don't think we have to worry about the military following illegal orders from Trump. At least for now, they're on our side.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:30 PM

Ed Markey @EdMarkey

Donald trump is scum for fueling racist hate and violence in our country.

10:35 AM · Jun 1, 2020·Twitter Web App
Old 06-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
We've reached a turning point in the Trump era. The 2020 campaign is in the streets and he's losing

That is really good news. Thanks, Chicks.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post

The generals are signaling they will support the Constitution. Two problems:

1. There are ways for it to get pretty murky which side the Constitutional side is.
2. Some lower officers, some units, may break for Trump.

Trump will figure out who's loyal to him, and they will become the Washington garrison. We'll have to get through them to get rid of him.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:54 PM

REMOVAL PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG
Date Signed: 6/5/2020 | MARADMINS Number: 331/20

https://www.marines.mil/News/Message...e-battle-flag/

Quote:
PURPOSE. IN REFERENCE (A), THE COMMANDANT PROVIDED HIS RATIONALE TO EXCLUDE FROM OUR CORPS PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF THE BATTLE FLAG CARRIED BY THE CONFEDERATE ARMY DURING THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR. REFERENCE (B) CHARGES COMMANDERS WITH THE AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE REASONABLE, NECESSARY, AND LAWFUL MEASURES TO MAINTAIN LAW AND ORDER, AND TO PROTECT INSTALLATION PERSONNEL AND PROPERTY. THE MARINE CORPS SHALL REMOVE THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG FROM ALL INSTALLATION PUBLIC SPACES AND WORK AREAS IN ORDER TO SUPPORT OUR CORE VALUES, ENSURE UNIT COHESION AND SECURITY, AND PRESERVE GOOD ORDER AND DISCIPLINE.
Hard to believe it's been allowed up to now, but it has. Racists are everywhere, including the military, though it was the first government institution to be desegregated, way back in 1948.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM

The monuments were a continuation of the war of rebellion by other means, and a statement of continuing white domination. Remember your place.

Last edited by Pio1980; 06-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM

Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 AM

Who do you trust? The Coward or the Commander?
The Lincoln Project

https://youtu.be/oYa8mEr3sJA