Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

The problem is that the church, or a great many of them, does not provide guidance, it is rare indeed to hear Jesus' teachings there.

Since I am not a doctor and since I cannot bear children, I cannot in good faith get between a woman and her doctor. Having grown up in Quebec there was a period where in a delivery if the choice was to save the mother or the child - they saved the child, and left its siblings motherless.

According to the teachings of some churches both of my marriages were invalid (but no one offered to pay for the divorce) since neither of my wives could bear children, and they claim that is the main purpose of marriage.

Regardless, I live this life as if it was the only one I will have, or at least I try to, I can't claim a 100% success rate, but my signature says it all. There were simply too many occurances in our meeting and courtship (over a 500 mile distance in the days before Internet) that something or someone had a hand in it somewhere. Who or what does not really matter because the simple joy of it all is that it happened.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
'A wise man thinks about death.'

Pete
From When Harry Met Sally

Harry Burns: Oh, really? When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM

One can argue every religion started out as a cult. Add to the fact the absurd notion yours is the only true teachings makes views of others open to ridicule and out right hatred.

The Church in question does get funding from the Government but is being treated differently the a non-religious business would be.

Now to the inconsistencies for me it boiled down to the old argument of when life begins. But if allowed this women would of had a good chance of producing a life. Also if this practice was to be main streamed could not the unused eggs be used by others?

I have a tortured complex view on Abortion and the Death Penalty. As most do and on one I will never have need to make the decision the other one would be very hard one to decide.

Back to the life question, I often think a person who eats meat but then never thinks about the life given up for that privilege. One who has lived on a farm and owned pets it is hard for me to think we are the only animals with a sense of consciousness. Yet killing a animal for survival is understood and accept generally. But a women is not allowed the same power over her body.

Barney
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
One can argue every religion started out as a cult. Add to the fact the absurd notion yours is the only true teachings makes views of others open to ridicule and out right hatred.

The Church in question does get funding from the Government but is being treated differently the a non-religious business would be.

Now to the inconsistencies for me it boiled down to the old argument of when life begins. But if allowed this women would of had a good chance of producing a life. Also if this practice was to be main streamed could not the unused eggs be used by others?

I have a tortured complex view on Abortion and the Death Penalty. As most do and on one I will never have need to make the decision the other one would be very hard one to decide.

Back to the life question, I often think a person who eats meat but then never thinks about the life given up for that privilege. One who has lived on a farm and owned pets it is hard for me to think we are the only animals with a sense of consciousness. Yet killing a animal for survival is understood and accept generally. But a women is not allowed the same power over her body.

Barney
The woman is still free to undergo in-vitro. She just can't do it and work for that Bishop. That is unless the US Supreme Court changes the rules or the Bishop changes his mind.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
The woman is still free to undergo in-vitro. She just can't do it and work for that Bishop. That is unless the US Supreme Court changes the rules or the Bishop changes his mind.
You're okay with that?

"Do whatever you want! It's your body. Just don't bother coming to work tomorrow."

John
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You're okay with that?

"Do whatever you want! It's your body. Just don't bother coming to work tomorrow."

John
It's not work in the normal context. This teacher is a member of the church, no?

If she's not then she might have a case as the church would be hiring her as an employee, not a minister.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Hmmm.

The teacher might have a case. Her attorney characterized her as a "lay-employee", which is legally different than a "minister".

The other issue here is the teacher worked under contract with the church. AFAIK the church did not fire her. It simply did not renew her contract.

People are allowed to contract with whomever they want, no?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Resident octogenarian

Msieu Chauvin would be proud.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
It's not work in the normal context.
Tell that to her. It sure as hell is a paycheck "in the normal context"!

Quote:
This teacher is a member of the church, no?
Do we know this?

Quote:
If she's not then she might have a case as the church would be hiring her as an employee, not a minister.
Whether she's a member of the church or not, it's as an employee that she served as a teacher (not a minister) and it's her services as an employee that were terminated, period. Whether she may or may not be a member of this particular parish or even the church as a whole is utterly irrelevant. The church need relevant grounds for dismissal. They have none.

John
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Not being a Lawyer but it seems to me and it should be noted that I believe Indiana is a "At Will" State.

" Indiana Employee Labor Laws
Employee Rights & Employer Responsibilities"

"Termination"

Indiana is an "at will" employment state. Termination

Indiana is an "at will" employment state. Employers may terminate employment for almost any reason or no reason at all. However, there are some reasons for termination that are legally prohibited. Employers may not terminate or otherwise discriminate against employees on the basis of race, gender, national origin, religion, disability status or age. Further, employers may not terminate employees for refusing to comply with illegal orders or reporting illegal workplace practices. After termination, an employer must pay the terminated employee all of his outstanding vacation pay. A terminated employee must receive all outstanding wages before the next regularly scheduled payday.

*Read more: Employee Rights in Indiana | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6636455_emp...#ixzz2735MP5Y8

This said if the reason for not renewal of the contract is the attempts to get pregnant then she has every right to pursue a case. This Diocese schools treceive funds now with the state allowing tax dollars under a voucher to be used to pay for private schools. Negating the separation of church and state it would seem.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 09-20-2012 at 04:52 PM.