Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Geezzz... The economy is doing better than it has in a long time, unemployment figures are improving, and I see people who haven't had jobs in years going to work....

Admittedly, the turn around is taking time, as it should...

And still, people complain?
Couldn't just be a case of partisan sour grapes, eh?
Really, Barb? Republicans angry because they lost? Naw! Not them..................

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Really, Barb? Republicans angry because they lost? Naw! Not them..................

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It is a hesitant recovery at best.

Dave I lived at the very edge of the industrial flats in Cleveland in the early 80s, if the wind was blowing the wrong way when it rained everything would get covered in a thin black muck.

Pete
Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Dave I lived at the very edge of the industrial flats in Cleveland in the early 80s, if the wind was blowing the wrong way when it rained everything would get covered in a thin black muck.

Pete
Yes, that did still happen in the early '80s. Not so much on the tail end of the '80s though and I'm sure it was totally gone by 2009.

Domestically produced steel is so expensive...............

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Sadly, I was working at a steel warehouse in the 80s, when domestic steel came in we had to mic every coil for tolerance, when jap steel came in we mic'd 1 coil to make sure they didn't mis-ship - they were always in tolerance. Still irritates me.

The big difference I see in production here is, back then at night the flats would be alight with 100s' of small smokestack flames, now there's only one large one. Heck once I was driving through Republic/LTV at night and all the railroad tracks were on fire, it was very cool. I have no idea why though.

Good times. In winter we used to hike down into the valley, there was a spot where very large ingots of redhot raw steel came out of one building on tracks and slowly moved into another. Heat! Great place to party The workers never got mad at us, although once we were wandering around deep in the heart of the plant (it must be square miles) (with beer) and they threw us out.

Pete
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Resident octogenarian

The steel mill owners were in the catbird seat after WW II as the Japanes and Eiuropean mills had been flattened. The mill owners made large profits but instead of investing in newer equipment the pissed away the profits.

Having to totally re-build the Japanese and Europeans invested in the latest technology so the U.S. mills were no longer competitive.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The greatest generation screwed up?

Every time I see this thread title I picture the Pres with a giant broom.

Pete
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The steel mill owners were in the catbird seat after WW II as the Japanes and Eiuropean mills had been flattened. The mill owners made large profits but instead of investing in newer equipment the pissed away the profits.

Having to totally re-build the Japanese and Europeans invested in the latest technology so the U.S. mills were no longer competitive.
Ayup. I remember a mill in Youngstown investing a few million in furnace upgrades only to shut down the following year. Too little, too late.

Another fascinating story is one of Bethlehem Steel executives building golf courses at nearly every facility as they went into bankruptcy for the final time in the 1990s. They simply assumed that they were still so vital to the economy and national defense that the government would bail them out, no questions asked. Their thinking really was that far behind the times as BethSteel had ceased to be vital in either way decades earlier. Amazing.

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM

I see that Obama has taken the tactic of ridicule, straight from "Rules for Radicals", to label any critics of his push for more EPA controls as members of the " Flat Earth Society".

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...#ixzz2XFsQ5mgH

Which is the sort of diatribe I would expect from the leading cheerleader of the "Chicken Little Society".

Apparently, he has given even less thought as to what these actions will do concerning the economic recovery as he extended whenever he discussed the "profits/earning" ratio concerning the stock market.

I DO wish he would stick to doing something he's proficient at...such as being a freeloading golfer at the taxpayer's expense.

Chas
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

The truth be known, I tend to suspect that the mill owners invested PLENTY in foreign markets.

After all, that's what giant multinationals do, They've been doing it forever, and they're doing it to this day.

Chas