Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That would be a photoshopped pic?

Pete
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
American retirement dollars go much further than the local currency......
one could probably eat for $2 or $3 a day if you ate where the locals purchase their food...even less if you did not use restaurants.
But you would be compelled to tip the waitress 600% so she could live by the same standard you do.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
If you're hoping to find better governance in Bella Italia, good luck with that. They change governments about as often as I change my underwear. The wine, food, people and sights are awesome though.
Governmental impotence has its up-side.

John
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
That would be a photoshopped pic?

Pete
I had to correct spell check, go figure.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
American retirement dollars go much further than the local currency......
one could probably eat for $2 or $3 a day if you ate where the locals purchase their food...even less if you did not use restaurants.
I understand that, but if you consistently show that you hate America why I should I hand over American dollars to you?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
It certainly was. Would have been a bargain at twice the price.
Amusing to hear these advocates of "leveling the playing field" wax poetic of living somewhere they can be the rich, ruling class. Sure, you can go to Costa Rica or the Phillipines and live like a king.... on the backs of the extremely poor. I thought that was the problem here?
I also get a kick out of the people who take advantage of charities to fund their vacations (Houses for Humanity being one). Talked to a couple who came here to Wasilla on donated funds to help build houses, and oh yeah, also included were excursions to tourist spots on the weekends.
I'm thinking with the amount of money they put out in airfare, hotels, excursions, etc. they could have hired locals to build the houses. We have folks who do that here.
You are assuming that in order to be able to live on one's pension automatically means behaving like an asshole.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I had to correct spell check, go figure.
SUUUUUUURE you did lol.

Pete
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I understand that, but if you consistently show that you hate America why I should I hand over American dollars to you?
If you're able to accept that objecting to some of the actions of the American governmental and corporate interests vis-a-vis one's country is not the same as hating America, especially if you have sympathy for that point of view, why not?

John
Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I surmise that you have not travelled abroad, or at least to a developing nation...If I mistaken please forgive me. But most people all over the world are happy and excited to meet Americans, even if the stated policy of their respective nations' governments are not pro-American or friendly to us.
If you were to go to Tehran and walk into a jazz cafe I would think most Iranians in the place would want to talk about your musical interests...

in Latin America your neighbors would most likely not hate you if did not brag about your relative wealth or act like the ugly American; you might get tired of all your friends (in my case relatives and in-laws) hitting you up for cash to cover the never ending financial emergencies lol

plus you would have to get used to being relatively wealthy while being surrounded by poverty...however I do not think you would be subject to rabid anti-Americansim in a place like Costa Rica or Belize, etc

and the Philippines loves America so I am lucky

Last edited by icenine; 03-05-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
If you're able to accept that objecting to some of the actions of the American governmental and corporate interests vis-a-vis one's country is not the same as hating America, especially if you have sympathy for that point of view, why not?

John
I see that a lot. In the US, the people are sovereign. Therefore 'we' should be viewed inseparable from the government.

Pete