Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 AM

The Pope's address to Congress

Anyone else catch this?

It was hard to understand his speech, but overall an extremely good humanitarian speech. I wish I was religious and could claim to be a catholic. He is inspiring.

On a side note, it didn't take the news stations 10 minutes to start dissecting his speech and trying to interpret it and explain it. As such, the fornication of his word has begun. My advice, turn off the damm TV and go read the speech, or see it on line. Make your own judgments entirely independent of others views.

Truly a remarkable man.

peace.........
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Here's an interesting take on the smarminess of both sides trying to expropriate the Pope's popularity and positions for their own benefit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...is-on-20150923
Old 09-24-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Anyone else catch this?

It was hard to understand his speech, but overall an extremely good humanitarian speech. I wish I was religious and could claim to be a catholic. He is inspiring.

peace.........
Yes, he is a good man, inspiring and a credit to christianity.

Perhaps that's why the GOP hates him so....... but then they hates everything good and decent.....
Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Yes, he is a good man, inspiring and a credit to christianity.

Perhaps that's why the GOP hates him so....... but then they hates everything good and decent.....
I think, like the Dalai Lama, he's a credit to humanity. Limiting praise for Pope Francis to the context of his religion is pretty much "damning with faint praise".
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 AM

In his speech he quoted the golden rule, but went on to actually use examples of how you and I wish to be treated, and how we should reciprocate that treatment. How we should not just quote the rule and feel good. Put aside politics and listen to the speech in it's whole and then try to dissect it, that just doesn't work.
My opinion, his speech stated that people and their welfare, should be every ones main concern and priority. And this should extend to every aspect of peoples lives. From immigration, to refugees, to global warming, and to capitalism and politics, it all matters. After all, if people don't matter, what does. Why do anything if we are not looking at each other with compassion and hope. If the only thing that matters is the individual's economics as a single unit, then we have failed. People as whole should be considered. People as individual units should strive to treat others as they would treat themselves. A very social message, if my understanding is correct, and very much my opinions as well.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think, like the Dalai Lama, he's a credit to humanity. Limiting praise for Pope Francis to the context of his religion is pretty much "damning with faint praise".
I don't quite think this is what Mr. Pots was intending, although I see you interpretation of it. I think he meant both as a man(individual), and as a Christian. I do not believe he was intending anything negative or lesser to to anyone or any religion when he posted. Just my $0.02 worth
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Here's an interesting take on the smarminess of both sides trying to expropriate the Pope's popularity and positions for their own benefit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...is-on-20150923
There are a whole lot more Bible Thumping Politicians on the right than there are on the left.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
There are a whole lot more Bible Thumping Politicians on the right than there are on the left.
True enough. Hence, the hypocritical nature of secular lefties all of a sudden "getting religion" and jumping on board with Il Papa now that he's taking sides with them on some issues.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I don't quite think this is what Mr. Pots was intending, although I see you interpretation of it. I think he meant both as a man(individual), and as a Christian. I do not believe he was intending anything negative or lesser to to anyone or any religion when he posted. Just my $0.02 worth
Thank you JC. You are correct.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I don't think he was intending anything negative either. My point is really that Pope Francis should be judged in terms of his humanity, not his religion. To put his spirit in Christian terms tends to limit, and at the same time, co-opt his virtuousness and morality. He must be allowed to transcend these things. Virtue, morality, spirituality and just plain goodness are not the sole property of the devout and it is humanity which is transcendent, not religion.