Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Administrator

A new forum here at your favorite site.....

Since I myself have been affected by being unemployed, this is a great spot for not only discussions of the why and the future, but to network opportunities, give tips and advice to those just beginning the journey or at the end of it, and to ask and answer questions for those of us who have no choice but to "work for the government"

My presence here has been spotty the last few days, because I've had some career counseling and resume review. Some unexpected opportunities are presenting themselves for me personally, but nothing concrete has come to pass.

So, here I am . Who's in the club? Or afraid of being?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Since I myself have been affected by being unemployed, this is a great spot for not only discussions of the why and the future, but to network opportunities, give tips and advice to those just beginning the journey or at the end of it, and to ask and answer questions for those of us who have no choice but to "work for the government"

My presence here has been spotty the last few days, because I've had some career counseling and resume review. Some unexpected opportunities are presenting themselves for me personally, but nothing concrete has come to pass.

I have two questions,
How's your health?
Are you allowed to drive?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Hope something comes together soon. And hope it's better than what you left.

Quote:
I've been affraid I was going to lose my job my entire profesional career. Had a bad case of it over the holidays, but I'm feeling a little better at least short term.

I can maybe bring one other bit of perspective to this as well. Aside from being nervous about my own job, I do find myself in the position of being the hatchet man as well. Good times.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Hope something comes together soon. And hope it's better than what you left.

I've been affraid I was going to lose my job my entire profesional career. Had a bad case of it over the holidays, but I'm feeling a little better at least short term.

I can maybe bring one other bit of perspective to this as well. Aside from being nervous about my own job, I do find myself in the position of being the hatchet man as well. Good times.
Nothing worse than being the hatchet man. Even if you want to punch the SOB in the mouth, it's hard to tell him he's fired. Especially in today's market.

I don't envy you.

Chas
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Nothing worse than being the hatchet man. Even if you want to punch the SOB in the mouth, it's hard to tell him he's fired. Especially in today's market.
You ain't kiddin' brother. When I got here had to do a few. It was my first time and my first job running a department. I actually thought about quitting once I was done. There's no money that makes it worth it. Worst job ever. You're looking across the desk at someone who did nothing wrong and has a family at home and you're telling them they don't have a pay check. Can't help but think about what that's going to be like when they get home.

It's easier when its for cause, but still horrible.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM

I remember years ago I had to fire the neighbor kid, he was just a dud. Almost made me sick, but I finally worked up the gumption and told him, "Jim, I hate to do this, but I've got to let you go."

Once I saw the smile on his face, I finally made the connection. Jim never wanted a job, his Momma MADE him come ask me for a job.

That made me feel a little better, but I still despise passing out walking papers.

Chas
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Area Man

I've always been afraid of unemployment, even during the best of times. The irony is that I hate work. Just absolutely hate it. So I work all I can squirrelling away as much money as I possibly can in the hopes that I'll be able to retire some day. But, sometimes it seems like the whole friggin' world is out to make sure THAT never happens------Bastards.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Trying to remember, six times unemployed since getting here, now retired and don't have that worry any more.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

I think a forum/forums for discussing all things unemployment is a great idea.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Well...given the circumstances I certainly don't foresee being employed anytime soon. So I will do what I can on my own.