Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

wow just wow.

after five weeks of dealing with the red tape. erin just recived her very first unemployment payment today. she was laid off because the hotel where she works is renovating to the tune of $40,000,000.00 she did not work a full week the last two weeks of 2011 and was laid off with no notice the month of jan. 2012. the process of getting to your payments is so stupid and riddiled with pitfalls its not even real. she has never recived unemployment in the 15 + years she has paid into the system. we paid around $10,000 in federal & state tax for 2011. (Il. had a 65% increase in income tax in 2011) well it all paid off today for her. she recived for the month of jan. 2012 a payment after tax of (drumroll) $370.00 thank god. a little less than she pays in tax on a reg. 40 hour week.

she now is back to work although at a reduced amt. of hours. so no more benifits for the time being. also no vacation this year (took all her paid time off to pay bills). the co. she works for has moved the reopen date for her rest. and bar 3 times and we have no reason to belive it wont be put off again. so who knows what will be comming in the next months.

we normaly spend our disposable income in our comunity so those folks are seeing less income. we also are not providing taxes to prop up the socail programs that we normaly pay for.

i know there are folks who are in far worse shape than us. we cut spending and stayed home all month. we managed our money and paid cash for all our bills and food. which we do every month by the way (we never use credit unless it is an emergency). i dont even know why im posting this except to vent a little.

i guess if there is any point to this if we can survive this by paying our bills and not running into debt. if we can trim our spending when the situation calls for it.

why then should we pay for a federal govt that wont do the same?

employes should be able to opt out of f.i.c.a. and start their own private acct. to cover lost wages. this would mean of course that we would not be able to recive any aid from the fed or state. we would be responcible for our own welfare. what a funny idea. this of course wont happen because we are paying all the taxes we pay not to insure ourselves. but to prop up a system that is choking to death under its own weight.

in closing the amt. of tax we paid in 2011 is not even close due to the insane tax we pay when we are lucky enough to have any cash to spend. (well over $250.00 per year on internet & phone alone). when you ad up all the post fed income taxes on lights,gas,food & transportation. i think i would be sick.

sorry for the rant. and by the way hello everyone.

eric

Last edited by stereocuuple; 02-02-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fix many spelling errors
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

Eric and Erin, all the best, will say a few prayers that it gets better.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Eric and Erin, all the best, will say a few prayers that it gets better.
thank you Rob. this ruined a lot of plans we had. however we will tighten our belt and get through.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Sorry you are going through so much garbage, Eric. I hope everything turns around quickly for you guys.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Area Man

So, Erin didn't just get on unemployment so she could kick back and live on the government teet?

Sorry, man. Couldn't resist.

Seriously, I hope you two get it all sorted out and get back on your feet soon. Times are tough, I know. And this whole underemployment thing is bad. Sorry to hear it's hit Erin.

My sister lost her house today, due to underemployment. Soon, she will be coming to live with me.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

You and Erin have shown extraordinary resourcefulness in coping with the world. I'm sure you guys will be alright. Thumbs up to you!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
So, Erin didn't just get on unemployment so she could kick back and live on the government teet?

Sorry, man. Couldn't resist.

Seriously, I hope you two get it all sorted out and get back on your feet soon. Times are tough, I know. And this whole underemployment thing is bad. Sorry to hear it's hit Erin.

My sister lost her house today, due to underemployment. Soon, she will be coming to live with me.

Dave
thanks dave

we are on our feet. we used our savingis and pto to fill the void. the unemployment would have been nice because we paid for it. but we are happy to see forigners and otherwise healthy folks with foodstamps in line in front of us. everyday. it leaves them enough $$ to stop by our local beverage shop. we see this everyday as well.

we had to back out of the AK Fest over this mess. we wanted to take some of her bennifits to make good on our commitment to AK. now those are gone with the wind. what the hell are we paying F.I.C.A. for? we should get a tax deduction for giving to the poor.

oh yeah if there is gonna be teet suckin round here im first in line

well that not gonna go over well with the little woman anywho.

we really are thankful we all we have and the well wishes.

eric + 3 beers (cheap beers)
Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Aw man...this sucks!

Great sign to get out of that shit hole of a state and city.

Come on out here where there are no state taxes and the housing market is still good. There's a place for her to transfer to, right?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Aw man...this sucks!

Great sign to get out of that shit hole of a state and city.

Come on out here where there are no state taxes and the housing market is still good. There's a place for her to transfer to, right?
i planning on shootin my way out when the time comes. till then all glory to the hot dog. oh yeah and dont forget italian beef
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
i planning on shootin my way out when the time comes. till then all glory to the hot dog. oh yeah and dont forget italian beef
Don't forget the Old Style and the baby Oso's