Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

Monsanto Chemical ran the Mound Atomic laboratory in Miamisburg Ohio. They released radioactive Tritium gas into the air more than once. Families in Miamisburg with no history of cancer suddenly developed cancers. My own wife worked there between 19958 and 1962 where she was overexposed to polonium 210 four times (I have the records). She died in October 2015 of ovarian cancer. After a battle beginning in August 2015 they have finally admitted responsibility and compensation is forthcoming. The ironic part is that she was not required to wear film badges or dosimeters because where she worked she would not be exposed to radioactive materials. They - Monsanto - had the reputation in scientific circles of running the dirtiest, most unsafe nuclear facility on earth. So they made a film with a group of former supervisors bragging about how they had worked there many, many years and never developed cancer.In the 1970s OSHA came out with best practices for atomic labs but that was rather like having a speed limit without a highway patrol. After Karen Silkwood died in suspicious circumstances they closed down the lab where she had worked . Government nuclear facilities should never, ever be put in the hands of private industry, they have too much greed.

The site cleanup costs went wildly over budget and I still would avoid the spot unless you are tired of life.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-07-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Before someone notes that the radioactive emissions fro Polonium 210 are said to not be able to penetrate the skin I must note. Monsanto in its frugality allowed material and staff to share the same elevator. Due to crowding on the elevators she sat on a container. It was full of Polonium 210. I trust everyone is familiar enough with female anatomy to realize that the rays did not need to penetrate the skin.

Also in the records of her time at the Mound about the dates of her over exposure she went to the nurse's station several times complaining of nausea - a known symptom of Polonium 210 poisoning. Later investigation by a team led by John Boice of Vanderbilt University showed that their methodology for performing a Polonium210 bio-assay was flawed. Dr. Boice was kind enough to send me a copy of his report.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

They finally admitted that Monsanto killed her and made what they call compensation, as if money could replace that beautiful accomplished woman
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Ready

Well, I guess that's a win for the good guys, then. Good work keeping after 'em!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

a bittersweet victory, hope the compensation a least pays some bills. Monsanto has to be one of the worst...
Old 03-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Just plain awesome news, that you were able to do all that Rob. Florence is smiling down on her hero I'm sure.

Carl
Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
It is my opinion that companies that knowingly poison other people and the environment should be immediately shut down and it's CEO's put to death, using the same poisons they put into the environment.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM

I never doubted if anyone could win a battle against Monsanto, it would be you. Because you would never quit or give up the fight.

Barney
Old 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

I guess Monsanto and others had to pay into a fund, then they passed the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Act in the GW Bush admin, Dept of Labor administers it. At first we were denied so I appealed, the lady who was to hear the appeal concluded that the first decision was bad and directed a verdict in our favour. All this since August of 2015. And it is still not quite over as I had to be honest and tell them about her son by her first marriage. They never got to hear from him but my lawyer found him in a homeless shelter. When he passes the location to me I will forward it to DoL Then it will all be over thank God.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-13-2017 at 05:43 AM.