Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Heaven forbid we should build advanced defensive weapons for a certain future.

Pete
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
It's unclear to me how conservatives can support Star Wars. This is likely the most complex project ever attempted by government on this planet. It's akin to hitting a bullet with a bullet in outer space with only a few minutes warning. Remember, this is the same government that "can't do anything right."
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It's unclear to me how conservatives can support Star Wars. This is likely the most complex project ever attempted by government on this planet. It's akin to hitting a bullet with a bullet in outer space with only a few minutes warning. Remember, this is the same government that "can't do anything right."
But it is a military project, so that's different!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Pete
What weapons for what future?

This, like most things the military does,is fighting the last war over again.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It is theoretically simple. And certainly relatively easier than say landing on the moon - and taking back off - with 60s technology.

There is no fundamental difference between a ground to air missile taking down a plane.

Btw Finn, the largest engineering project in the history of Man is also the most ignored, the ISS

A rogue group getting their hands on a missile, or a country like North Korea blackmailing everyone, isn't the last war.

Pete
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It is theoretically simple. And certainly relatively easier than say landing on the moon - and taking back off - with 60s technology.

There is no fundamental difference between a ground to air missile taking down a plane.

Btw Finn, the largest engineering project in the history of Man is also the most ignored, the ISS

A rogue group getting their hands on a missile, or a country like North Korea blackmailing everyone, isn't the last war.

Pete
North Korean Blackmail only works when they don't use their nukes. As soon as the used one, they would be dead. And they know that.

How many missile bases should be built? We pretty nearly need to cover the entire world to make it feasible.

And again, America is broke! America can't afford to pay it's ongoing military commitments without borrowing every dime of it from China, let alone take on incredibly expensive new research projects for an enemy that might not exist.

And it is a damn site harder to shoot down a missile doing upwards of 15,000 mph then an airplane then an airplane going at less than a 1000.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Of course it's harder. Building a jet is harder than a prop driven plane.

And military spending a) drives technology (always has) and b) is a clear mandate given the Federal government by the people.

Pete
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Of course it's harder. Building a jet is harder than a prop driven plane.

And military spending a) drives technology (always has) and b) is a clear mandate given the Federal government by the people.

Pete
All fine, except for the fact that the country is broke and can no longer afford it.

It is also harder to build a transporter than a jet, but I don't see them wanting to spend billions of dollars on that right now.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Just look at the Federal Budget.

Google it now. I'll wait. Find a pie chart that includes everything- including SS Medicaid/Medicare...

Got it?

Okay. Can't cut the lines I mention above. You'll never get elected again. Unilaterally assured destruction. And we keep hearing we have no money. Now, say we cut *everything else to zero*. Of course you can't really do that, but for the sake of argument. Just keep Military, SS, Medicaid/Medicare.

What do you see? Ah. We have a problem. If we want to "cut spending" like I keep hearing, there's only one place left. Starting with huge projects that cost untold billions, have shown limited success and were designed for an enemy we, for the most part, no longer face seems a good idea to me.

As much as we talk about the money we spend on illegals, or welfare, none of it adds up to a hill of beans next to the big lines. It's not that the politicians don't hear people yelling "cut spending". It's that there is nothing to cut that will make any real difference that wouldn't be political suicide. No Tea Party will change that.

If we get Nuked, I don't think it'll come in over the North Poll. I think it will be in a Ryder truck. Probably get here in a freight container on a ship. And there will be nobody to shoot a missile back at. No MAD. Just us, dead.

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

Ed

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 07-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Just look at the Federal Budget.

Google it now. I'll wait. Find a pie chart that includes everything- including SS Medicaid/Medicare...

Got it?

Okay. Can't cut the lines I mention above. You'll never get elected again. Unilaterally assured destruction. And we keep hearing we have no money. Now, say we cut *everything else to zero*. Of course you can't really do that, but for the sake of argument. Just keep Military, SS, Medicaid/Medicare.

What do you see? Ah. We have a problem. If we want to "cut spending" like I keep hearing, there's only one place left. Starting with huge projects that cost untold billions, have shown limited success and were designed for an enemy we, for the most part, no longer face seems a good idea to me.

If we get Nuked, I don't think it'll come in over the North Poll. I think it will be in a Ryder truck. Probably get here in a freight container on a ship. And there will be nobody to shoot a missile back at. No MAD. Just us, dead.

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

Ed
Makes sense to me.