We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Admin

Russians Hacking the Electrical Grid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d025ca5b0981

Time to turn the lights out in Moscow.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 PM

This is why a few weeks ago I put in place a plan for the family to have a ground zero for messages and meeting. A place for everyone to leave messages in case of a technology breakdown and a loss of contact.

Just think of it no cell phones, internet hell even you cars/trucks have chips that can be fried. Just how would you find someone???

Barney
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
This is why a few weeks ago I put in place a plan for the family to have a ground zero for messages and meeting. A place for everyone to leave messages in case of a technology breakdown and a loss of contact.

Just think of it no cell phones, internet hell even you cars/trucks have chips that can be fried. Just how would you find someone???

Barney
Will it fry points and condenser? And a brush generator with mechanical voltage regulator rather than solid state electronic? One that can be push started and driven even if no battery is present? Reason I ask is I didn't get out with the old and in with the new, I kept a couple old vehicles and never sold or traded them in when buying newer vehicles over the years.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Will it fry points and condenser? And a brush generator with mechanical voltage regulator rather than solid state electronic? One that can be push started and driven even if no battery is present? Reason I ask is I didn't get out with the old and in with the new, I kept a couple old vehicles and never sold or traded them in when buying newer vehicles over the years.
Points condenser should be OK. It is solid state that can be effected!

My 70 VW was converted to solid state. Still have to the parts and know how to go back if need be.

A good flash can wreck shear havoc on IC's and trani's .....

Barney
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Points condenser should be OK. It is solid state that can be effected!

My 70 VW was converted to solid state. Still have to the parts and know how to go back if need be.

A good flash can wreck shear havoc on IC's and trani's .....

Barney
That's good to know. I didn't keep them for this reason, honestly I never really thought about it until lately. They were just vehicles that my wife and I were driving when we first met and I just kept them.

I guess I'm maybe weird to be sentimental of some things but I also kept our kids first little Honda 50 and all these years later I have grandchildren fixing to learn on it before long like their mother and uncle did.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:43 AM
Ready

Just to keep our minds right, the 'flash' that fries non-internet-but-electronic-dependent cars isn't hacker action, it's the electro-magnetic-pulse (EMP) from a nuclear explosion. That is therefor a lot worse on the disaster scale that a Ruskie-engineered revolt of our electronic servants.

In the event that an EMP fries your car's electronics you'll probably want a well-equipped fallout shelter to survive the first couple of weeks in a semi-civilized style.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d025ca5b0981

Time to turn the lights out in Moscow.
So, has Trump tweeted praise to the Russians for their excellent hacking skills yet?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 AM

Hardly anyone has a good fallout shelter. You need fresh hepa filtered air, power, a sewer drain, adequate security, and a radiation physicist to let you know whether to shelter in place, or flee. You also need to know where the explosions happened.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:00 AM

I'm sure Don doesn't care about all that. Now that he's POTUS, someone else will ensure he's safe. Nobody else matters.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Hardly anyone has a good fallout shelter. You need fresh hepa filtered air, power, a sewer drain, adequate security, and a radiation physicist to let you know whether to shelter in place, or flee. You also need to know where the explosions happened.
Given that people are likely to lack all that information and expertise, two weeks is the usual wag. Much less would be enough in many places. Bad idea to be right downwind from a large and dirty one though.

My point is that if you're going to worry about an EMP frying your car, you have a lot of other stuff to worry about first.