Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It'll likely be McCarthy, despite considerable squawking from the 'Bagger caucus and their cheerleaders on Talk Radio. He'll likely prove even weaker than Boehner in dealing with the Baggers.
I think it'll be Hensarling as the compromise candidate. He's alreaady in the leadership and would be more acceptable to the 'baggers than McCarthy.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Ted Cruz will become de facto leader of the House 'Bagger faction (if he isn't already). It's gonna get ugly/silly, to the definite benefit of the Democrats. The circular firing squad is going to be throwing hand grenades.
Yes, I think he already is. I find it astonishing that Cruz is allowed to get away with openly meddling in the business of the Lower House. It's a clear indication, IMO, of the utter weakness and ineptitude of the Senate Republican leadership that he hasn't been reined in.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...unning-asylum/

The inimitable Charlie Pierce...

"Welcome to the monkeyhouse, America. The prion disease afflicting the Republican party finally has devoured the last vestiges of the Republican party's higher functions. I had as many problems with Boehner as Speaker as anyone did, but, dammit, he at least believed that the government should keep running. And, as much as the Times wants to believe it, this has nothing to do with the "challenges of divided government," and everything to do with the fact that the modern Republican party, especially in the House of Representatives, is completely demented."

Interesting.

You all are clearly more in tune with politics than I am.

When it comes to Republican party rhetoric my mind keeps flashing back to an old article on religious camps, as in summer camps for kids. Someone, somewhere, discovered that people want a serious, quiet, and contemplative forum. How that compares with the latest polls I have no idea. But the article stuck with me because serious, quiet, and contemplative is what I hoped for in the Republican party. Instead the party got noisier until I had to leave; not just the party, but politics in general.

It will be a while until I vote again.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think it'll be Hensarling as the compromise candidate. He's alreaady in the leadership and would be more acceptable to the 'baggers than McCarthy.
Could be, but there are plenty of establishment types totally pissed and frustrated with the Baggers (e.g., Peter King) and may prove unwilling to throw them a bone.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Interesting.

When it comes to Republican party rhetoric my mind keeps flashing back to an old article on religious camps, as in summer camps for kids. Someone, somewhere, discovered that people want a serious, quiet, and contemplative forum. How that compares with the latest polls I have no idea. But the article stuck with me because serious, quiet, and contemplative is what I hoped for in the Republican party. Instead the party got noisier until I had to leave; not just the party, but politics in general.

We did those summer camps up in the Angeles Forest (Methodist) when I was kid. Fun times.

Please reconsider voting, Ed. We lefties need all the help we can get.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Could be, but there are plenty of establishment types totally pissed and frustrated with the Baggers (e.g., Peter King) and may prove unwilling to throw them a bone.
I hope so. I'd love to see a strong Repub speaker put these nihinistic, bitter ender Teabagger punks in their place.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Please reconsider voting, Ed. We lefties need all the help we can get.
Yes, even if the help is in the form of voting for sane and civil Republicans. There will always be.... should always be a conservative party as a counterbalance to the liberals and vice versa. We don't have that now.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Yes, even if the help is in the form of voting for sane and civil Republicans. There will always be.... should always be a conservative party as a counterbalance to the liberals and vice versa. We don't have that now.
Agreed. Well said, old friend.

Last edited by bobabode; 09-25-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Interesting.

You can claim to support Trump and all the lefties here will forgive you for your sins.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Admin

I was reading this over at ThinkProgress...yeah, I know but it seemed like a fairly accurate reading of the situation by Ian Millhiser.

"John Boehner May Have Been The Only Thing Standing Between America And Madness"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...a-and-madness/
Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Persona non grata

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-leaving.html

Quote:
White Supremacist groups are happy to see John Boehner go. They can’t think of anyone to replace him, but they are glad he is gone, nonetheless.

White supremacist leaders took to social media to celebrate the resignation of House Speaker John Boehner on Friday morning, a “cuckservative” whose tenure didn’t focus enough on “the replacement of whites by non-whites through immigration and higher birthrates.”
Quote:
“Whites are objectively more useful to the country than blacks or Hispanics in terms of crime rates, welfare dependency, labor-force productivity, etc. This is obviously true but everyone is too terrified to say so,” Jared Taylor, the President of the New Century Foundation, told The Daily Beast.
Quote:
Taylor believes the “replacement of whites by non-whites” is “the greatest long-term threat to conservatives.”
continued