Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Area Man

Food Execs meet................

I saw this article at AK and wanted to start lobbing grenades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...wanted=1&_r=4&

The President mentions obesity and diabetes and people go nuts, screaming that the scary government is trying to control the food supply. Yet the leaders of Americas food industry can have a sit-down to discuss what type of garbage they want to, or not to, inject in to our food supply without our knowledge, input or consent......and not a peep. Well, of course not, they're "job creaters" so they should be free to do whatever they can to keep America fat and diabetic.

Does anyone see the problem with this besides me?

Imagine what would happen if we caught a federal employee dumping anything into the food supply?

One heartening note is that, at least, the federal threat to raise their taxes got them talking about the health problem their products create. I see this as a good thing. I'm just crazy that way. History has proven time and again that the only way to get a greedy bastards attention is to aim where his soul lives----his money.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-25-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM

It's simply amazing how screwed up American food is.

When travelling overseas it is so easy to spot the Americans. They are the fatasses.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Area Man

Yes, yes, I know. The article starts with the head of Pillsbury calling the meeting out of his concern for public health...................

Has it actually done much good? And, why did it take so long?

“We were very concerned, and rightfully so, that obesity was becoming a major issue,” Behnke recalled. “People were starting to talk about sugar taxes, and there was a lot of pressure on food companies.”

Hello.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
It's simply amazing how screwed up American food is.

When travelling overseas it is so easy to spot the Americans. They are the fatasses.
Yep. Even when I was overseas 30 years ago. I recall the father of a good friend, a Frenchman who ran several restraunts around the Roanoke area saying, "The shame is that most Americans are human trashcans. They'll eat food that they wouldn't give to their dogs."

Think about it. He's right.

Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 AM

A week or so ago a German news show reported about the Heart Attack Grill customer that died of a heart attack. They were simply amazed at how low we stoop in search of a buck.

If that restaurant were in any other country it would go broke for lack of customers. Well, maybe not in Canada. Those guys are pretty crazy, too.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

We don't eat junk food and drink very little soda. I am down to 165 from a high of 185 Florence has also lost weight. If we feel like a pizza it is made here at home. Rarely if we happen to be out shopping and there is not enough time to cook dinner we may stop at Subway and get a sub. Probably why at 82 I don't take any prescription drugs. I actively dislike Kraft because they went around Ontario buying up cheese factories and closing them just to get their industrial milk allotment. Ontario still has some damn fine native cheeses. Kraft does not make cheese, I'm not sure what you would call it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM

They have a name for it. Cheese Product or something like that.

Americans eat cheesy goo that squirts out of a can FFS. That's messed up. Of course people are going to turn into fatasses when they can inject food into their pie holes.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Although there is indeed a real problem of childhood obesity I think our sedentary lifestyle (internet,video games) has much to with it also. We had tons of junk food in the 1970s....however I think most people were more active. I mean most employment (factories, assembly lines, etc) was actual physical work. Our service economy today has made us not as active.

I mean we had tons of bad food when were kids....maybe we could just not afford it as easily then. Maybe Walmart pricing is killing us with easy access to sugars.

But I love doritos.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM

hehe. Here is a warning letter the FDA sent to Kraft.

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm145363.htm

From the letter: Your firm's "Waft Velveeta Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread" product is misbranded within the meaning of Section 403(g)( 1) of the Act in that it purports to be or is represented as a food

Awesome. It's so bad it's illegal to call it food.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Although there is indeed a real problem of childhood obesity I think our sedentary lifestyle (internet,video games) has much to with it also. We had tons of junk food in the 1970s....however I think most people were more active. I mean most employment (factories, assembly lines, etc) was actual physical work. Our service economy today has made us not as active.

I mean we had tons of bad food when were kids....maybe we could just not afford it as easily then. Maybe Walmart pricing is killing us with easy access to sugars.

But I love doritos.
Change of work habits is part of the equation. Another part is portion sizes. Soda bottles have grown from 8 or 12 oz. to 20 oz. I've heard that even dinner plates have grown, but I don't have data.

Remeber when the Big Gulp came out in the 1980s? We used to make fun of dumbasses that bought those things. I imagine that now the Big Gulp size is closer to the average serving size. There are some plastic mugs out there that are bigger than their drinkers' heads.