Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Loyal Opposition

The title of this thread does remind me of visiting the John Street Church in NYC. It was the first Methodist church built in the United States. It stands in contrast to the commercial district in which it sits - just a block or two from Wall Street. The feeling inside the church is an even more significant contrast than the architecture. I first visited it when I was in New York for some particularly contentious litigation. The sense of peace a visit to the sanctuary provided was unforgettable.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Yeah, another quandry hard to solve, be "at all times ready for war" without an army.

But militias did predate the Revolution, as did the right to bear arms.

Pete
Pete visit Williamsburg sometime, the guns were kept locked up in the armory. Ordinary folks probably had hunting rifles but the big stuff was under lock and key.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Pete visit Williamsburg sometime, the guns were kept locked up in the armory. Ordinary folks probably had hunting rifles but the big stuff was under lock and key.
That's right.

Dave
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Been there - 3 times Love how they used them for decor.

I don't know anyone with cannons. Everyone then had rifles, even foreigners like Washington. And horror of horrors, they didn't need a license to buy or keep them.

Pete
Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Been there - 3 times Love how they used them for decor.

I don't know anyone with cannons. Everyone then had rifles, ...
Actually, nobody had rifles (yet). They had muskets. Rifles extended the range of muskets several hundred percent. I don't think the Founding Fathers saw that one coming.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ah so. Long things that looked like guns that propelled small objects rapidly

The Constitution has this amazing foresighted bit in there - the amendment process

Btw, I probably wouldn't have kept going back although it was very good - my step daughter loved it there.

Pete
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Speaking of Williamsburg, my (now deceased) uncle was a graphics artist employed by Colonial Williamsburg for his entire career. One of his specialties were the period maps you saw in a bunch of the buildings there. His son-in-law (my cousin's husband, also recently deceased) managed all the period musicians who played in the taverns, etc. He played a bunch of period stringed instruments and, in addition to playing in the Colonial Williamsburg venues, travelled widely to cultural and diplomatic meetings where they wanted such entertainment.

Cool place.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Resident octogenarian

We spent a Christmas there, stayed right in the Inn, quite an experience.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Which seems (despite the NRA) to quite clearly link the carrying of firearms to the protection of the State and not the Self
I've always wondered whether anti-2nd-amendment types would be consistent in interpretation if elements of the 1st amendment had been phrased with a preceeding justification like...

"A well-informed citizenry being neccessary to make reasoned choices at the ballot box, the right of the people to read books of choice shall not be infringed"

Obviously, you don't vote --- You don't need to be carrying that high-caliber Kindle. Put down that e-reader son, and slowly step away...
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
I've always wondered whether anti-2nd-amendment types would be consistent in interpretation if elements of the 1st amendment had been phrased with a preceeding justification like...

"A well-informed citizenry being neccessary to make reasoned choices at the ballot box, the right of the people to read books of choice shall not be infringed"

Obviously, you don't vote --- You don't need to be carrying that high-caliber Kindle. Put down that e-reader son, and slowly step away...
The problem with that analogy is that Kindles are not lethal weapons.

It's interesting that you use the terms "anti 2nd Amendment." It might be more accurate to describe such folks a narrow interpreters of the 2nd Amendment.

Are you suggesting that the right to bear arms is more important to a democracy than a broadly interpreted protection of free speech?

Regards,

D-Ray