Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Sahib View Post
Know this: The surest (and fastest) way to lose our religious freedom is to make Jesus lord of us all.
And, by default, his most devout followers our masters. After all, they've "received the calling", so they have divine authority, right?

Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I happen to think so. Think, but don't know for certain. Only God can truly know what lies in the hearts of men.

However, you are right. We were warned of "False Prophets" in the Bible, weren't we? "Wolves in Sheeps clothing" as the old saying goes.

Maybe it's the ones who constantly waive around their Christian credentials that we need to be wary of?
Whaddaya think, counsellor?

Dave
You captured my point. I don't wanna name names, but Newt Gingrich comes to mind.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

When Jesus is Lord the unbelievers will be somewhere else - therefore since everyone will be a Christian there will be no loss of religious freedom

Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
When Jesus is Lord the unbelievers will be somewhere else - therefore since everyone will be a Christian there will be no loss of religious freedom

Pete
Hey Pete, I have an exercise for you. See how many times you can find the word "rapture" in the text of the Bible. Before you look, I'll give you an over/ under of 4.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Off the cuff, I'd think it wasn't in there. But I'll look

Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Hoo haa.

What did I win?

Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I happen to think so. Think, but don't know for certain. Only God can truly know what lies in the hearts of men.
Dave
. . .and 'The Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.'

But y'all are probably too young to remember.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Hoo haa.

What did I win?

Pete
Knowledge. And knowledge is power.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Rob, I've heard of that before. Something about a show with no pictures?

Pete
Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

"The Shadow is a collection of serialized dramas, originally in pulp magazines, then on 1930s radio and then in a wide variety of media, that follow the exploits of the title character, a crime-fighting vigilante with psychic powers.[2] One of the most famous pulp heroes of the 20th century, The Shadow has been featured in comic books, comic strips, television, video games, and at least five motion pictures. The radio drama is well-remembered for those episodes voiced by Orson Welles.

Introduced as a mysterious radio narrator by David Chrisman, William Sweets, and Harry Engman Charlot for Street and Smith Publications, The Shadow was fully developed and transformed into a pop culture icon by pulp writer Walter B. Gibson.

The Shadow debuted on July 31, 1930, as the mysterious narrator of the Street and Smith radio program Detective Story Hour.[3] After gaining popularity among the show's listeners, the narrator became the star of The Shadow Magazine on April 1, 1931, a pulp series created and primarily written by the prolific Gibson.

Over the years, the character evolved. On September 26, 1937, The Shadow radio drama officially premiered with the story "The Deathhouse Rescue", in which the character had "the power to cloud men's minds so they cannot see him." This was a contrivance for the radio; in the magazine stories, The Shadow did not have the ability to become literally invisible; he influenced the minds of his opponents by making them see him a few feet to the right or left of where he really stood. The effect of having this cloaked figure laughing while he was being shot at point-blank range was, at the least, unsettling.

Even after decades, the unmistakable introduction from The Shadow radio program, long-intoned by actor Frank Readick Jr., has earned a place in the American idiom: "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" These words were accompanied by an ominous laugh and a musical theme, Camille Saint-Saëns' Le Rouet d'Omphale ("Omphale's Spinning Wheel", composed in 1872). At the end of each episode, The Shadow reminded listeners, "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Courtesy of Wikipedia, because there was no TV until the 50s, radio was the medium. Actually it was a better medium to those with a good imagination because we could visualize wonderous things. The TV producers were tied to the art of the possible, rather dull.