Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:15 AM

We have in essence privatized our government.

I was reading this morning about Trump and his insistence that Cleveland delegate must delegate him because they were voted to do so. However the supreme court has ruled repeatedly that political parties are private entities and can do as they wish regardless of "democracy".

Taking this to it's logical conclusion, by voting in one party or another, the voting public is basically approving privatization of our government. We elect people who represent private corporations to run our government. No different than electing the CEO of Monsanto to run the country. He's going to run the country not for the best interests of the people but for Monsanto, and this is what we do. We elect people to run the country in the best interests of the republican party or democrat party, they do not to represent the people.

So what we are celebrating this independence day is not independence, we are celebrating our corporatocracy. We are celebrating our rule by two political parties who have no interest in the betterment of this country, only the gain of their party.

When a country is run to benefit a specific business, you get what we have in this country, a shit sandwich.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Jigsawed

I think we are celebrating that we did not want to be ruled by inbred royalty.

This implied less edict and fiat, and more sense of greater upward mobility.

However with time an American "royalty" has evolved.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post

I was reading this morning about Trump and his insistence that Cleveland delegate must delegate him because they were voted to do so. However the supreme court has ruled repeatedly that political parties are private entities and can do as they wish regardless of "democracy".
You're ranting about a process that's owned by the political parties. The Dems and Repubs both have the facade of a popular vote that decides the candidate, called a "primary". In reality, pre-determined rules adopted by each party guide the candidate selection process.

The L A Times was one of several papers that recently explained how this works. Remember a couple months ago when Sanders won a string of primaries but it didn't really matter?

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...nap-story.html

It's not a conspiracy, as some angry Sanders backers suggest, a result of dark magic or a wrinkle in the time-space continuum. Rather, it's the rules that Democrats play by — rules that now work to Clinton's advantage, even as they thwarted her candidacy eight years ago, when she lost a nominating fight to then-Sen. Barack Obama.

Further obscuring the relative transparency of the nominating process is that states can adopt their own rules that govern how primary elections operate and how delegates are awarded.

Don't like it? Either work within your favorite political party to change the rules or vote 3rd party candidate.

Last edited by whell; 07-01-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Or as I am likely to do, reject our political system entirely.

I most certainly will not try to "change the system" within the two parties any more than I'm likely to change the system by which Monsanto poisons our planet.

Humans will be humans, and humans are idiots...you cannot change that.

Last edited by MrPots; 07-01-2016 at 11:59 AM.