Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 AM

The Hawaii Health Connector - The First Domino to Fall?

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle...-services.html

From the article:

May 09--The Hawaii Health Connector has prepared a contingency plan to shut down operations by Sept. 30 after lawmakers failed to pass legislation to keep the state's troubled Obamacare insurance exchange afloat.

The Connector is in financial dire straits due to lack of enrollment.

Under the contingency plan, Connector functions would be transferred to the state so that the roughly 37,000 enrolled on the exchange would not lose their coverage. However, residents would have to re-enroll in healthcare.gov to ensure coverage next year.

To sustain its operations, the Connector needs to enroll 70,000. The program is funded by a 2 percent fee on each policy, which is set to increase to 3.5 percent July 1.

Hawaii, of all the state-run exchanges, was in the worst financial dire straits. But it's not the only one. According to WaPo, half of the states that opted to run their own exchanges are having financial challenges:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...afa_story.html

Nearly half of the 17 insurance marketplaces set up by the states and the District under President Obama’s health law are struggling financially, presenting state officials with an unexpected and serious challenge five years after the passage of the landmark Affordable Care Act.

Many of the online exchanges are wrestling with surging costs, especially for balky technology and expensive customer call centers — and tepid enrollment numbers.

What solutions are the states exploring?

Some are weighing turning over part or all of their troubled marketplaces to the federal exchange, HealthCare.gov, which now works smoothly.

Gee. I wonder if those states will face the ire of the Dems who accused Repub governors for playing politics with Obamacare for refusing to operate a state - run exchange?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Excellent argument for national single payer.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Excellent argument for national single payer.
Well, lookey here whelly...john-boy and the jew on the same page.

The ACA is only a slightly less odiferous turd than the previous health insurance turd. It guarantees that pretty the same overpriced, for shit medical coverage and medical care that we had before the ACA is available to everybody. Gee thanks Barack.

Problem with people like whell is that they keep saying that America is the greatest country on earth. And over and over they keep showing us that they just don't think it's actually worth paying for. If the people of the individual states don't want to pay for a decent health care system...if the people of the country as a whole don't want to pay for a decent health care system...we will continue to have a health care system that puts us right around 40th in the world in outcomes and only for twice as much money as almost all the nations with single payer systems.

Twice in one day whell plays the fool. Whell done.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-13-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Only whell could do that.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle...-services.html

From the article:

May 09--The Hawaii Health Connector has prepared a contingency plan to shut down operations by Sept. 30 after lawmakers failed to pass legislation to keep the state's troubled Obamacare insurance exchange afloat.

The Connector is in financial dire straits due to lack of enrollment.

Under the contingency plan, Connector functions would be transferred to the state so that the roughly 37,000 enrolled on the exchange would not lose their coverage. However, residents would have to re-enroll in healthcare.gov to ensure coverage next year.

To sustain its operations, the Connector needs to enroll 70,000. The program is funded by a 2 percent fee on each policy, which is set to increase to 3.5 percent July 1.

Hawaii, of all the state-run exchanges, was in the worst financial dire straits. But it's not the only one. According to WaPo, half of the states that opted to run their own exchanges are having financial challenges:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...afa_story.html

Nearly half of the 17 insurance marketplaces set up by the states and the District under President Obama’s health law are struggling financially, presenting state officials with an unexpected and serious challenge five years after the passage of the landmark Affordable Care Act.

Many of the online exchanges are wrestling with surging costs, especially for balky technology and expensive customer call centers — and tepid enrollment numbers.

What solutions are the states exploring?

Some are weighing turning over part or all of their troubled marketplaces to the federal exchange, HealthCare.gov, which now works smoothly.

Gee. I wonder if those states will face the ire of the Dems who accused Repub governors for playing politics with Obamacare for refusing to operate a state - run exchange?
Whelly

Obama failed in his healthcare crusade. No arguments. This country is OWNED by the wealthy and that prohibits effective policies to safeguard the public in most every area of life here in the greed capital of the world.

John had the right answer in the first reply in this thread. Unfortunately, it is not possible to have a reasonable solution as he mentioned with so much money to be made and so many ignorant baggers allowed to vote.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

As is any man of reason and independent thought.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
As is any man of reason and independent thought.
Reason and independent thought, eh? John's got a ways to go with that one.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Pay attention then.

John is way smart.

People like he and Pat are tremendous resources and these are the guys I go to when forming an opinion. I don't always a agree but I sure as hell listen up and give great weight to their words.

You can only benefit from doing the same.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Trying to start something already? You know, it's not my decision to make but it occurs to me that your next vacation could be permanent.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Trying to start something already? You know, it's not my decision to make but it occurs to me that your next vacation could be permanent.
Not any more than the Jew album. So who's starting? And you're a mod now, eh?

But maybe you were just foolin' around. Good. Me too.

PS- maybe you mis-interpreted my post. My intent was to suggest you have a ways to go before you'll be seeing me as a person of reason and independent thought. If I needed to be more clear, and subsequently caused you some affective distress...rest assured you have my amends.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-13-2015 at 01:07 PM.