Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:44 AM

Approaching an officer is a crime now. I guess it's better to get arrested for approaching an officer than shot to death running away.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 PM

Afaik, the Mike Brown "hands-up, don't shoot" scenario was indeed discredited.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
This thread has no subject. So what if Dorian Johnson was arrested? It just affords you with something to get all smug and hateful about.

The truth and lies aren't "two sides" of the same story. The "facts" are that illegal police violence is longstanding and ingrained in police culture and that it's smartphones that are showing us the full extent of it.
Both sides can be expected to fabricate to support their narrative of events. Untainted pictoral evidence will more than likely serve truth and factual occurrence in most cases, so which side has the most to lose?
This one may well see the Supremes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
And my point from before is validated. You would never say a thing like that, if you argued honestly. You know damn well I read and analyze with fine comprehension.

And it's your position that opinion can always be disregarded, if you wish? That there's no such thing as opinion that is insightful and truthful? That is so odd a notion that I likewise can't believe you are arguing honestly in advancing it.

It strikes me that you never consider any argument we offer to you on it's merits. It will always be attacked, because, after all, it's our argument. And you have no respect for our opinions, at all.

Which mainly goes both ways, of course, and I don't see that changing ever. Which limits my interest in conversing with you to 'occasional.'
More babbling BS.

What's dishonest is treating an opinion piece like it contains "truth", which is the word that John used and the context within you suggested that I was being dishonest because I didn't regarding the opinion piece as an "accurate reflection of reality." Sorry, but its an opinion piece. At best, it contains half the facts, and presents those facts from a particular perspective.

No one else here is required to regard an opinion piece as an "accurate presentation of reality" to carry on a discussion here. Watch what happens if I start posting content from Brietbart or the Wall Street Journal.

What a whiner you can be sometimes.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
What's dishonest is treating an opinion piece like it contains "truth", which is the word that John used and the context within you suggested that I was being dishonest because I didn't regarding the opinion piece as an "accurate reflection of reality." Sorry, but its an opinion piece. At best, it contains half the facts, and presents those facts from a particular perspective.

No one else here is required to regard an opinion piece as an "accurate presentation of reality" to carry on a discussion here. Watch what happens if I start posting content from Brietbart or the Wall Street Journal.

What a whiner you can be sometimes.
What utter cynical nonsense. Of course an opinion piece can be an accurate reflection of reality.

It's interesting that you, of all people, feel this way when, if you get right down into it, a belief in God is nothing more than an opinion that He exists. In the final analysis, that's all faith really is. So, are you saying that your belief in God is untrue or, at best, only half true?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Both sides can be expected to fabricate to support their narrative of events.
An expectation that a person is lying is as misguided an expectation of total honesty. Both possibilities definitely exist but to, as a "default" position, assume one or the other is, to put it bluntly, foolish.

Last edited by Boreas; 05-08-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Ready

Quote:
What's dishonest is treating an opinion piece like it contains "truth"....
All opinion pieces are not equal.

Here's an example of a sage opinion piece. It cites facts that are indeed facts, and draws conclusions that reflect clear thinking, respect for truth, and good values: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...e19410963.html

(Aside--I find it very telling that it is HIGH information Republicans that disproportionately dislike fact-checkers. You don't have to be in denial unless you know there's something to deny.)

On the other hand, here is an opinion piece with (correct me if I'm wrong) not a shred of wisdom or truth in it: http://bigamericannews.com/2015/05/0...eral-darkness/

My point, again, is that all opinion pieces are not equal. Some deserve to be dismissed, and some do not. Observing that a piece contains opinion is not enough, by itself, to discredit it.

Last edited by donquixote99; 05-08-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
All opinion pieces are not equal.

Here's an example of a sage opinion piece. It cites facts that are indeed facts, and draws conclusions that reflect clear thinking, respect for truth, and good values: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...e19410963.html

(Aside--I find it very telling that it is HIGH information Republicans that disproportionately dislike fact-checkers. You don't have to be in denial unless you know there's something to deny.)

On the other hand, here is an opinion piece with (correct me if I'm wrong) not a shred of wisdom or truth in it: http://bigamericannews.com/2015/05/0...eral-darkness/

My point, again, is that all opinion pieces are not equal. Some deserve to be dismissed, and some do not. Observing that a piece contains opinion is not enough, by itself, to discredit it.
Thank you for that link. If I had not followed it, I would not know that Obama was using chemtrails to turn American men into homosexuals.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
ST. LOUIS — The friend who was with Michael Brown on the day the unarmed African American teen was shot and killed by a white police officer has been arrested.

Dorian Johnson was arrested Wednesday afternoon, KSDK-TV reported. Police had been called to check on a group of people who were possibly armed with guns. Johnson was accused of approaching an officer to keep him from making an arrest, and police say he also threw suspected narcotics onto the ground.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...sted/70929034/
you must be thrilled that another black man possibly engaged in a victimless crime is in jail.

The way you guys salivate at the failings of the poor is neither healthy nor admirable. Very much the opposite.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
What utter cynical nonsense. Of course an opinion piece can be an accurate reflection of reality.

It's interesting that you, of all people, feel this way when, if you get right down into it, a belief in God is nothing more than an opinion that He exists. In the final analysis, that's all faith really is. So, are you saying that your belief in God is untrue or, at best, only half true?
Only you would try to conflate your own post of an opinion piece with someone else's belief in God. Sheesh...