Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

The Democratic Assault on the First Amendment

The Democratic Assault on the First Amendment

For two centuries there has been bipartisan agreement that American democracy depends on free speech. Alas, more and more, the modern Democratic Party has abandoned that commitment and has instead been trying to regulate the speech of the citizenry.

We have seen President Obama publicly rebuke the Supreme Court for protecting free speech in Citizens United v. FEC; the Obama IRS inquire of citizens what books they are reading and what is the content of their prayers; the Federal Communications Commission proposing to put government monitors in newsrooms; and Sen. Harry Reid regularly slandering private citizens on the Senate floor for their political speech.

But just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. Senate Democrats have promised a vote this year on a constitutional amendment to expressly repeal the free-speech protections of the First Amendment.

You read that correctly. Forty-one Democrats have signed on to co-sponsor New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall's proposed amendment to give Congress plenary power to regulate political speech. The text of the amendment says that Congress could regulate "the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to federal elections." The amendment places no limitations whatsoever on Congress's new power.

Proponents of the amendment also say it would just "repeal Citizens United" or "regulate big money in politics." That is nonsense. Nothing in the amendment is limited to corporations, or to nefarious billionaires. It gives Congress power to regulate—and ban—speech by everybody.

Indeed, the text of the amendment obliquely acknowledges that Americans' free-speech rights would be eliminated: It says "[n]othing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress the power to abridge the freedom of the press." Thus, the New York Times is protected from congressional power; individual citizens, exercising political speech, are not.

If this amendment were adopted, the following would likely be deemed constitutional:

Congress could prohibit the National Rifle Association from distributing voter guides letting citizens know politicians' records on the Second Amendment.

Congress could prohibit the Sierra Club from running political ads criticizing politicians for their environmental policies.

Congress could penalize pro-life (or pro-choice) groups for spending money to urge their views of abortion.

Congress could prohibit labor unions from organizing workers (an in-kind expenditure) to go door to door urging voters to turn out.

Congress could criminalize pastors making efforts to get their parishioners to vote.

Congress could punish bloggers expending any resources to criticize the president.

Congress could ban books, movies (watch out Michael Moore ) and radio programs—anything not deemed "the press"—that might influence upcoming elections.

One might argue, "surely bloggers would be protected." But Senate Democrats expressly excluded bloggers from protection under their proposed media-shield law, because bloggers are not "covered journalists."

One might argue, "surely movies would be exempt." But the Citizens United case—expressly maligned by President Obama during his 2010 State of the Union address—concerned the federal government trying to fine a filmmaker for distributing a movie criticizing Hillary Clinton.

One might argue, "surely books would be exempt." But the Obama administration, in the Citizens United oral argument, explicitly argued that the federal government could ban books that contained political speech.

The contemplated amendment is simply wrong. No politician should be immune from criticism. Congress has too much power already—it should never have the power to silence citizens.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ted-c...ent-1401662112
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Loyal Opposition

Can you paraphrase that?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Can you paraphrase that?
Yes I can.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Yes I can.
Prove it.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Prove it.
Nope.

In your eyes I'm too ill-informed uneducated and incapable to write anything you can comprehend.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Admin

Quote:
Prove it.
Hoo boy, I'm gonna go nuke me up a bag Orville's finest.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can you paraphrase that?
Do you want more?

Like it's my opinion that Democrats want to eliminate free speech in the political process.

Just like here
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Area Man

"No politician should be immune from criticism."............until it's Ted Cruz that comes under criticism and he has a sycophant Republican majority congress.

Dave
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"No politician should be immune from criticism."............until it's Ted Cruz that comes under criticism and he has a sycophant Republican majority congress.

Dave
Do you not want to know how and what is written in the laws. Stop shooting the messenger because this is important and affects all of us.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Do you not want to know how and what is written in the laws. Stop shooting the messenger because this is important and affects all of us.
I would love to shoot the messenger. I hate his guts. He's little more than a sack of garbage to me. But, alas, I don't believe in using guns to solve problems. So, it isn't going to happen.

Dave