Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
KG, where are you getting this stuff from? You wanna share your sources? Which bank do you work for?

Why protest the White House? The big problems happened when Bush was in power. He be gone now. Or did you forget that the bank failures, the economic collapse, TARP, etc happened on HIS watch?
Bush made many mistakes, however, Obama is not entitled to a free-ride. He has been President for nearly 3 years now and it is time to take responsibility. "The buck stops here" is what was displayed on President Truman's desk. The sitting President is ultimately responsible. There has not even been a federal budget under Obama's watch.

I should also point out, that when the DNC took control of both houses of Congress in January 2007, unemployment was at 4.9% and the economy was very strong. The economy collapsed in mid 2008, 18 months after the Democrats took control of Congress. The collapse continued under Obama. This data comes from the CBO.

Where do I get my information on the 1972 election? Common knowledge. There are some very interesting books written on the 1972 presidential election and the failure of the DNC to capitalize on public sentiment. Several of them were written by prominent Democrats. Including one by George McGovern, the Democrat candidate in 1972. He also holds a Ph.D in History. He especially lays out the missteps of the DNC during that election cycle.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
Bush made many mistakes, however, Obama is not entitled to a free-ride. He has been President for nearly 3 years now and it is time to take responsibility. "The buck stops here" is what was displayed on President Truman's desk. The sitting President is ultimately responsible. There has not even been a federal budget under Obama's watch.

I should also point out, that when the DNC took control of both houses of Congress in January 2007, unemployment was at 4.9% and the economy was very strong. The economy collapsed in mid 2008, 18 months after the Democrats took control of Congress. The collapse continued under Obama. This data comes from the CBO.

Where do I get my information on the 1972 election? Common knowledge. There are some very interesting books written on the 1972 presidential election and the failure of the DNC to capitalize on public sentiment. Several of them were written by prominent Democrats. Including one by George McGovern, the Democrat candidate in 1972. He also holds a Ph.D in History. He especially lays out the missteps of the DNC during that election cycle.
Do you really work for a bank?

If so, why do you keep pointing your finger at the government? They have been very good to you.

Chas
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you really work for a bank?

If so, why do you keep pointing your finger at the government? They have been very good to you.

Chas
Chas,

I don't work for a bank, and never have. Economic policy starts in Washington, not on Wall Street. I point fingers to where the problem is: the failed economic policies of Washington.

Of course big-business is going to export jobs. Why shouldn't they? Washington makes it difficult to do business in the USA. Did you know that the USA has the highest corporate tax rates in the world combined with more environmental red-tape than "green" Europe? Imported goods have to be made more expensive that domestically produced ones. That is how you restart this economy. Cancel NAFTA, the Mexican component, as it makes no sense. Economic policy has to make sense for America, not for China, Mexico, or Brazil. That's the bottom line.

Boeing wanted to open a second, already built, production line in South Carolina... we all know what ole Barrack did about it. Now, these jobs that would have been created there are going to be exported to China or Brazil. Who is to blame for this? Not Boeing, but Barrack Hussein Obama and his Democrat friends who back him on this. This is just one of many examples.

Last edited by Krazygrrl; 10-20-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
Why is not more being made of the hard-left slant of these protesters. Their desire to force wealth re-distribution. Their demands to be leeches on the backs of people that work hard and earn their money. Sure, there are problems on Wall Street. But the problems with the economy are not on Wall Street, they are in the White House and the Congress. They are with NAFTA and all other, so-called "free trade" agreements with the third world that export American jobs. They are with the failed housing policies of DNC heavy-hitters, such as Franks and Teddy Kennedy, that demanded banks lend to people who should have NEVER gotten a loan.

The problems with the American economy rest squarely in Washington, and much of it with the failed policies of the DNC.

In 2007, even with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we had a deficit spending of $160 Billion. That was bad enough. In 2011 it will be $1.4 TRILLION, nearly 10x as much. We also have not had a budget since 2009. Who is to blame? Barrack Hussein Obama and his Democrat friends - no one else.
No bank was ever forced to make any loan they did not want to make. They made those stinker loans to gather hefty fees up front and then bundled the bad loans up, got AAA ratings and sold them to pension funds, teacher retirement funds, etc. The whole time they took out credit default swaps and bet against their own worthless paper.

You are right, this is the responsibility of the US government. Phil Gramm wrote two pieces of legislation that deregulated banks 100% and over turned Glass-Stiegel in the process. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley act and the Commodities futures modernization act. Bill Clinton signed both into law.

Obamas hands have been tied by a do nothing 60% super majority Senate. He has never had both houses because of the Senate filibuster rules that Republicans have used over 200 times to block legislation that came out of the House. A president is not a dictator. To get amnesia about what happened before 2008 seems to be a Republicans favorite past time.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
No bank was ever forced to make any loan they did not want to make. They made those stinker loans to gather hefty fees up front and then bundled the bad loans up, got AAA ratings and sold them to pension funds, teacher retirement funds, etc. The whole time they took out credit default swaps and bet against their own worthless paper.

You are right, this is the responsibility of the US government. Phil Gramm wrote two pieces of legislation that deregulated banks 100% and over turned Glass-Stiegel in the process. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley act and the Commodities futures modernization act. Bill Clinton signed both into law.

Obamas hands have been tied by a do nothing 60% super majority Senate. He has never had both houses because of the Senate filibuster rules that Republicans have used over 200 times to block legislation that came out of the House. A president is not a dictator. To get amnesia about what happened before 2008 seems to be a Republicans favorite past time.
With the loans... well, the ACLU with prodding from Barney Franks sued several for not giving loans to some that though were entitled to them. If you flip burgers at Burger King, you probably cannot afford a $200,000 home. Franks, and others, didn't care.

Glass-Stiegal must be reinstated. That is the bottom line.

Yes there were problems prior to 2008, or even January 2007, but the current administration has gotten a free-pass on so many things. $4.2 Trillion dollar increase in the deficit under Obama. That is a reality. The lies about Obamacare being "budget neutral". There are so many more examples that are 100% Obama's doing. Yet, if you want to hold him responsible, you are labeled a racist at best by many. If Obama had shown leadership, stewardship, and even common sense, the DNC would not have suffered the horrendous election defeats it did in 2010. I predict 2012 will eclipse them considerably.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Lemme tell you why I think OWS is hitting Wall Street and the banks instead of the governement.

First off, people understand money. Lots of people have lost money, or have no way to make any money, so by going after the money, it will cause more people to take notice and want to become involved.

I also think by going after the gravy the government is so fond of eating it will make them take more notice of what the people are fed up with, than if we just stood outside their offices.

I do feel we should be making things a lot tougher for the government right now too, and protesting on their door steps too, but everyone can get on the money wagon, where as it's harder for people to get on the government wagon.

This is part of the reason I've gotten involved with October2011 when I can. They have well seasoned activists that have been hitting the government along with the money. They know how to put up a good fight.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Yes, I consider myself to be an Arkie and a Razorback fan even though I am originally from Philadelphia. Actually born there and grew up in West Chester, PA. NW Arkansas is one of the best kept secrets for places to live. I think Fayetteville has been in the Forbes top ten best places to live many times.
Is it really? That is good to know. My youngest is flying down there in a few weeks to meet with a coach.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
Lemme tell you why I think OWS is hitting Wall Street and the banks instead of the governement.

First off, people understand money. Lots of people have lost money, or have no way to make any money, so by going after the money, it will cause more people to take notice and want to become involved.

I also think by going after the gravy the government is so fond of eating it will make them take more notice of what the people are fed up with, than if we just stood outside their offices.

I do feel we should be making things a lot tougher for the government right now too, and protesting on their door steps too, but everyone can get on the money wagon, where as it's harder for people to get on the government wagon.

This is part of the reason I've gotten involved with October2011 when I can. They have well seasoned activists that have been hitting the government along with the money. They know how to put up a good fight.
People are hitting Wall Street because they understand it is a private club that legally steals from the masses to accuire it's wealth. No one in the USA begrudges wealth, it's the stealing that is being protested.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM

exactly noone.. you just said it better than I did.. But, they wouldn't be able to steal all that cash without the help of Unkle either..
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Resident octogenarian

I think that the chant "Wall Street got bailed out, we got sold out" is not solely directed at Wall Street, especially when they are doing the chanting in front of Concress.

Corporate income tax relief is a scam, about the only ones that ever paid the 35% are small businesses without a good tax accountant. GE paid zip, nada, most other big corporations paid less than half.

Funny as hell how our friends to the north can run successful businesses with the amount of regulation they have.

Frankly all the whining coming from the right is really rather pitiful.

What did the Republican say when the elephant stepped on his foot?

Nothing he just gave a little whine.