Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM

Cost of Health Care Continues to Rise

Health benefit brokers surveyed see health care costs in 2011 continuing to rise. The small group market will continue to see double - digit cost increases, while medium to large groups will be on the high side single digit to double - digit.

http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/be...Rates2011.aspx
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Abby Normal

take the profit out of healthcare

our system is archaic and inhumane

and while we are on the subject, jail big pharma executives

I am sure you agree whell
Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
take the profit out of healthcare

our system is archaic and inhumane

and while we are on the subject, jail big pharma executives

I am sure you agree whell
Yeah, that'll fix it good!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

I can't understand why the powers that be are so eager to kiss the arse of big pharma, they are all based off-shore. The only reason they maintain a presence here is for access to the research of NIH. The major reason for the rising cost of drugs has SFA to do with research. The increase is to cover advertising - four or five pages in every issue of major magazines - endless TV commercials, and executive salaries. What have they come up with of late besides skippy stiffeners.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I can't understand why the powers that be are so eager to kiss the arse of big pharma, they are all based off-shore. The only reason they maintain a presence here is for access to the research of NIH. The major reason for the rising cost of drugs has SFA to do with research. The increase is to cover advertising - four or five pages in every issue of major magazines - endless TV commercials, and executive salaries. What have they come up with of late besides skippy stiffeners.
You forgot to mention the extra bribery expenses last year.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
FYI - 8 of the 15 major players in the pharma industry are US - based. The others are in the UK, France, Switzerland, Germany and Japan. I think Phizer, based in NJ, is still the worlds largest phrama company.

Profit margins are higher in the phrama industry, but are eroded by lower return on assets due to shortening of patent protection, litigation and high R&D costs.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 AM

I have no doubt whatsoever that when the Republicans retake Congress in November and repeal Obamacare health insurance rates will plummet.

John
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
You forgot to mention the extra bribery expenses last year.

Regards,

D-Ray
Yup! Paying lobbyists a million a day and lord knows how much in "campaign contributions" put a real dent in their bottom line so you can't really blame them for raising premiums again. I mean, otherwise the CEOs might be looking at the dire prospect of living on the south side of a billion a year.

John
Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Loyal Opposition

Another big problem is how slowly reforms are being phased in. For consumers, that was a very expensive compromise. The lobbyists served their clients well by giving them a couple of extra years of price gouging to pad their bankroll. I know our experience has been that each year we pay more for less coverage. It would be cost prohibitive to retain the coverage that we had, so we increase co-pays or deductibles to try and maintain a reasonable monthly nut.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
FYI - 8 of the 15 major players in the pharma industry are US - based. The others are in the UK, France, Switzerland, Germany and Japan. I think Phizer, based in NJ, is still the worlds largest phrama company.

Profit margins are higher in the phrama industry, but are eroded by lower return on assets due to shortening of patent protection, litigation and high R&D costs.
I think you missed Rob's point. He wasn't claiming that all the major players are US based as opposed to overseas based, a difference with an ever-waning distinction, but that they all have huge "bricks and mortar" presence here in the Land of the Free Access to government-funded research.

John