Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
While I agree with the message in your post, I'm not quite able to appreciate the ignore feature as you do. It feels like a repression of speech to me especially in this type of forum. Intellectually, I can argue otherwise, but the feeling of cutting of someone's voice when activating the feature bothers me.

On the other hand, I understand why the ignore feature has been popular lately.
Yes Barbara and D-Ray even suggested to you to suppress yesterday.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM

-5, I was not defending your idiotic posts.
Using the ignore feature is an individual choice for each member to make. There are logical arguments that point to the fact that using the ignore feature is NOT repression of speech. I acknowledged that. My point was how it FELT to me rather than if the it was repression of speech or not.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Using the ignore feature is an individual choice for each member to make. There are logical arguments that point to the fact that using the ignore feature is NOT repression of speech. I acknowledged that. My point was how it FELT to me rather than if the it was repression of speech or not.
I am not stopping him from speaking, any more than I am stopping Charles Krauthammer from writing op ed pieces by not reading his pieces. This site comes into my home with my permission and participation and I am rather fissy about who I let in the door.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Barbara, I don't think you're seeing the issue all that accurately. Just as there is a right to free speech, there's a right to ignore the speech of others. That's the function of the Ignore List here. What would come close to approximating the loss of free speech rights would be for the mods to ban someone because of what they posted.

Of course, chat lists aren't democracies.........................

John
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Barbara, liken the ignore feature to the FF feature on DVR's.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Yeah, this is not Miss Manners' favorite website. ...
Say it ain't so!

Pete
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Barbara, liken the ignore feature to the FF feature on DVR's.

Mmmmmm.... That does make sense. I never thought of it like that before.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Barbara, I don't think you're seeing the issue all that accurately. Just as there is a right to free speech, there's a right to ignore the speech of others. That's the function of the Ignore List here. What would come close to approximating the loss of free speech rights would be for the mods to ban someone because of what they posted.

Of course, chat lists aren't democracies.........................

John

Boreas, respectfully... I'm not missing the point you make and, in fact, acknowledged that there is solid argument to support that the ignore feature does not prohibit free speech.

For me, the crux of the issue is that when I consider using the ignore feature, it FEELS like I am stifling a voice.

There is a difference in that my feelings don't determine what is free speech and what is not.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
For me, the crux of the issue is that when I consider using the ignore feature, it FEELS like I am stifling a voice.
It does to me, too. Appropriately.

As an example, I believe JBS and DJ are both -- in some areas -- absolute loons but, at the very least, the positions held are their own and they possess the tiniest sliver of open-minded wisdom.

-5 is either a smart person pretending to be stupid or a stupid person pretending to be smart. Either way, nothing is added of value to this site or (I would surmise) to society by his existence. Further, as he cannot be personally eradicated from the gene pool without penalty, I feel comfortable removing his lack of intellect from my world and sleep well at night realizing my vote(s) negate his. It doesn't bother me that others may peruse his intellectual garbage as its idiocy reveals itself in seconds (like Ross Perot with a graph). I just feel no need to personally subject myself to it.

IGNORE LIST

It works for me, until someone quotes his stupidity...
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
It does to me, too. Appropriately.

As an example, I believe JBS and DJ are both -- in some areas -- absolute loons but, at the very least, the positions held are their own and they possess the tiniest sliver of open-minded wisdom.

-5 is either a smart person pretending to be stupid or a stupid person pretending to be smart. Either way, nothing is added of value to this site or (I would surmise) to society by his existence. Further, as he cannot be personally eradicated from the gene pool without penalty, I feel comfortable removing his lack of intellect from my world and sleep well at night realizing my vote(s) negate his. It doesn't bother me that others may peruse his intellectual garbage as its idiocy reveals itself in seconds (like Ross Perot with a graph). I just feel no need to personally subject myself to it.

IGNORE LIST

It works for me, until someone quotes his stupidity...
This is where a mouse with the scroll wheel is handy.