Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Loyal Opposition

How about a movie thread?

My wife and I are trying to take in a few more movies lately. Really enjoyed Lincoln. It's the type of movie that make you want to jump into the books on on to Google to delve deeper into the subject matter.

We saw Hitchcock last weekend, and found it very entertaining. The movie about him followed his practice of entering the screen as a narrator. It provided an interesting effect. And Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh - uh - charming.

It was interesting that Both Lincoln and Hitchcock involved just a small, albeit important, slice of the life of both figures. And the wife of each played an extremely important role in the story being told.

This weekend, it's Hyde Park on the Hudson. Although the reviews have been mixed, I'm looking forward to seeing Bill Murray tackle FDR.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm always slightly surprised when Murray does something serious. I expect him to jump up and yell, 'I LIKE IT!" Hope it's good.

Anyone seen 'Winters Bone'? I started watching it to humor the wife and ended up really liking it.

Pete
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

We liked Lincoln as well. Next, I want to see Django Unchained. My wife wants to see Les Miz.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I'm always slightly surprised when Murray does something serious. I expect him to jump up and yell, 'I LIKE IT!" Hope it's good.

Anyone seen 'Winters Bone'? I started watching it to humor the wife and ended up really liking it.

Pete
Yes! Twice! An excellent movie.

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

Hyde Park on the Hudson turned out to be a much of a chick-flick as anything else. Largely a love story, with the historical event in which FDR was involved being seen through the eyes of one of his mistresses. While Murray's performance as FDR was well done, I never was never able to suspend disbelief enough to forget that it was Bill Murray playing Roosevelt. That being said, it was entertaining, and the actors delivered fine performances.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Hyde Park on the Hudson turned out to be a much of a chick-flick as anything else. Largely a love story, with the historical event in which FDR was involved being seen through the eyes of one of his mistresses. While Murray's performance as FDR was well done, I never was never able to suspend disbelief enough to forget that it was Bill Murray playing Roosevelt. That being said, it was entertaining, and the actors delivered fine performances.

Regards,

D-Ray
<<<yawn>>> Thanks for the warning, Don. Bill Murray is a really good actor but, like you, I can't watch him without thinking of SNL or Caddy Shack.

John
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
<<<yawn>>> Thanks for the warning, Don. Bill Murray is a really good actor but, like you, I can't watch him without thinking of SNL or Caddy Shack.

John
Though it got great acclaim, I thought Lost in Translation was somewhat of a yawn too.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Though it got great acclaim, I thought Lost in Translation was somewhat of a yawn too.
Me too. Sophia Coppola really bores me.

Murray was good though.

John
Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:

John
Did you see him in that modernized version of Hamlet? It was somewhat strange.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
Quote:

John
Yeah, I still want to see that one, but, I still just can't picture Murray as FDR. FDR was a party hound and had a great sense of humor, (Ever heard the story about Churchill and the Washington monument?), but figure Murray as a bit too "clownish".

Regards,
Dave