Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Loyal Opposition

Ancient 42 year old.

So yeah, I love baseball. Anyway, the Royals picked up a guy from the scrap heap, Raul Ibanez. He had been with the team over ten years ago, and was just released from another team. After all, at 42 he is ancient in baseball terms - or in most professional sports for that matter. Third game back, he plants one in the seats. It's fun for us old farts to root for the old farts sometimes.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM

I like watching the game myself. Nothing better then going to a game with friends drink a few cold ones eat a brat. Root of the team.

Gonna see the Red Socks play the Reds next month. Day game. The Red Sox have been my team since 1962.

Barney
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I went from being an Orioles fan to a diehard Nationals fan. The Nat's have a terrific pitching rotation and a pretty spunky team. Atlanta sucks, as do the Yankees and BoSox.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I went from being an Orioles fan to a diehard Nationals fan. The Nat's have a terrific pitching rotation and a pretty spunky team. Atlanta sucks, as do the Yankees and BoSox.
You're right about the Yankee's and Atlanta but after all these years I'm enjoying seeing all the new Boston fans. If I stuck with them all these years to late to change now.

Washington I like watching them play but I'm an American league kinda guy even though they still have that stupid designated hitter rule.

I don't get to listen much except the Reds and Cardinals on the radio so only listen when at my brothers. He is a national league guy.

Barney
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Admin

I'll just 'balk' at commenting on stickball out of deference to youse mugs.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'll just 'balk' at commenting on stickball out of deference to youse mugs.
I just like watching the game, never got ate up with all the stats and stuff like my brother. Half the time, no most of the time I don't know the batting average or on base average ERA's. I just want to watch the game.

Barney
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

The online version of the Kansas City paper has a blog called "Judging the Royals." It's actually written by the paper's political cartoonist, who is a big baseball fan who played the game as an amateur. He spends his time talking with the coaches and players about the nuts and bolts - positioning of outfielders and infielders according to hitter and pitch selection, determining pitch selection, how to predict big innings (the inning after a pitcher throws a lot of pitches), what gets players into slumps, taking the right path to the ball to make a strong outfield throw (Alex Gordon of the Royals is amazing at it - and leads the league in outfield assists), backing up the right base, how players develop relationships with umpires, and all other sorts of "inside baseball" - pun intended. It is a different approach than the stats, and adds something to actually watching the game. Just bought tickets for next Friday's game with my sons.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The online version of the Kansas City paper has a blog called "Judging the Royals." It's actually written by the paper's political cartoonist, who is a big baseball fan who played the game as an amateur. He spends his time talking with the coaches and players about the nuts and bolts - positioning of outfielders and infielders according to hitter and pitch selection, determining pitch selection, how to predict big innings (the inning after a pitcher throws a lot of pitches), what gets players into slumps, taking the right path to the ball to make a strong outfield throw (Alex Gordon of the Royals is amazing at it - and leads the league in outfield assists), backing up the right base, how players develop relationships with umpires, and all other sorts of "inside baseball" - pun intended. It is a different approach than the stats, and adds something to actually watching the game. Just bought tickets for next Friday's game with my sons.

Regards,

D-Ray
Is the ball field downtown? I seem to remember seeing it when driving thru one time. The crown like display. Nice looking IIRC. Always like the KC logo, but that's more due to one of my sons goes by that.

Barney
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Is the ball field downtown? I seem to remember seeing it when driving thru one time. The crown like display. Nice looking IIRC. Always like the KC logo, but that's more due to one of my sons goes by that.

Barney
It's not downtown, but it is a pretty good place to watch a ballgame. The stadium shares a parking lot with the football stadium, with each facility being built specifically for its sport. As a result, the sight-lines are great. It has a huge high-def screen in the outfield, but the fountains are probably the most famous feature.

Importantly, the stadium recently received a major facelift, creating thousands of union jobs. And there might finally be a pennant race to watch there this year.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It's not downtown, but it is a pretty good place to watch a ballgame. The stadium shares a parking lot with the football stadium, with each facility being built specifically for its sport. As a result, the sight-lines are great. It has a huge high-def screen in the outfield, but the fountains are probably the most famous feature.

Importantly, the stadium recently received a major facelift, creating thousands of union jobs. And there might finally be a pennant race to watch there this year.

Regards,

D-Ray
I seem to remember seeing it from the interstate when going thru to Denver. But we all know how fickle old memories are.

Barney