Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Admin

Unhappy 71 Years Ago-Pearl Harbor

Seventy one years ago on this date the empire of Japan bombed and strafed Pearl Harbor and other military installations on Oahu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

Last edited by bobabode; 12-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM

"A date that will live in infamy." Japan certainly woke up a sleeping giant that day.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
"A date that will live in infamy." Japan certainly woke up a sleeping giant that day.
Just as Admiral Yamamoto predicted.

John
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Amazing what a different country America was then. If the manufacturing base then was what it is now, America would have lost the war.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Amazing what a different country America was then. If the manufacturing base then was what it is now, America would have lost the war.
Maybe initially we would have been behind but as Bob Dylan says we are a Slow Train Coming. You have to remember in 1941 we were a much more rural nation than we are now. And our industry was forced to change and undergo a massive readjustment to win the war, said readjustment providing the base for the boom in middle class prosperity a decade later in the 50s. I always bet on America.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Maybe initially we would have been behind but as Bob Dylan says we are a Slow Train Coming. You have to remember in 1941 we were a much more rural nation than we are now. And our industry was forced to change and undergo a massive readjustment to win the war, said readjustment providing the base for the boom in middle class prosperity a decade later in the 50s. I always bet on America.
Yep. Anyone who thinks that we would have sued for peace with Tojo after the sneak attack on Pearl is not a good student of history. Maybe there is something to some of the conspiracy that we had some advance notice. Our flattops weren't in the barn at the time so I can understand that but no one has been able to find any evidence, so it will remain a mystery. We may have been just lucky.
I disagree with Erik's rash asessment that we would not have won that war with our present industrial base. It ignores the human factor in this country, IMO. We would put aside our differences and pulled down double hours to make it work. Would it take extra time? Of course. Would we negotiate after something like the Pearl Harbor attack, fuck no- period. It isn't just bravado, it's fact. People were thinking we were no big thing during the thirties with the Great Depresion kicking our asses but when somebody sucker punches us? We get mean. Just ask that f**ker Bin Laden.

As I recall from what I've read so do you guys uphill of the 49th - you pantywaist Canadian. Can't forget those Aussie's and Kiwi's, either...

Last edited by bobabode; 12-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 PM

Most Def Bro!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Jigsawed

No way could the Japanese overcome the industrial superiority of the US. I guess their military had bought into the David/Goliath mystique in view of their unexpected mauling of the Chinese (1894) and Russians (1905).

Moreover probably they had still not gotten over Commodore Perry.

Last edited by Dondilion; 12-08-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM

If you ever have the chance to go to Hawaii, visit the USS Arizona Memorial. Very, very moving experience. The thought of standing on the watery grave of hundreds of young sailors, most of whom woke up that morning and had no idea that they had woken up for the last time, brought me to tears.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Yes but a world war today on that scale would be a nuclear one of which we are indeed prepared for.

Carl