Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Legitimate news stories outperformed the fake ones in the early months of the 2016 election campaign. But in the last three months, fake news sources saw their engagement surge. There’s a clear partisan dimension to this story. According to Silverman, 17 out of the 20 fake news stories had information favoring Donald Trump.

You sourced that graph from....ummm....Vox, not an exactly unbiased source of news and a contributor to the hyperbole that accompanies "fake news".

However, maybe you can help me out here a bit. Who at Vox, or their source "BuzzSumo" gets to decide what is / is not fake news with sufficient clarity that they can measure and graph it?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
You sourced that graph from....ummm....Vox, not an exactly unbiased source of news and a contributor to the hyperbole that accompanies "fake news".

However, maybe you can help me out here a bit. Who at Vox, or their source "BuzzSumo" gets to decide what is / is not fake news with sufficient clarity that they can measure and graph it?
Dunno. Do your own research and refute it with facts (if you, unlike the Trump campaign, belief that facts actually exist). I've read and seen several interviews with fake news generators, many of whom are non-partisan and only in it for the money. They started out posting equal amounts of pro-Trump (or anti-Hillary) and pro-Hillary (and anti-Trump) fake news, but the fake news directed at pro-Hillary people didn't generate anywhere near as many clicks (from which they get paid by online advertisers) as from the pro-Trump (or anti-Hillary) crowd (up to a factor of 10X). So, therefore they simply posted pro-Trump/anti-Hillary stuff because Trump fans seem less capable of discriminating fact from fiction and ate that stuff up.

Last edited by finnbow; 12-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:

It's a conjecture graph. It looks cool, supports the point being made and begs many a question.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Dunno. Do your own research and refute it with facts (if you, unlike the Trump campaign, belief that facts actually exist).
So the graph could be fake news.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Dunno. Do your own research and refute it with facts (if you, unlike the Trump campaign, belief that facts actually exist).
I'd love to refute it with facts if you could point me to the answers to my question about something that you want me to simply assume is "fact". Well, how convenient for you. You posted it, but refer any questions about it to someone else? Pathetic.

Frankly, what you've done is posted "fake news" to support your claims about "fake news". And when challenged about your source and their methodology, you're clueless about it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
So the graph could be fake news.
Bingo!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
So, therefore they simply posted pro-Trump/anti-Hillary stuff because Trump fans seem less capable of discriminating fact from fiction and ate that stuff up.
Your assumption, based on zero facts. Could easily have been the Media Matters types clicking on all that stuff so they could be prepared to post endless blogs about it.

For that matter, as John loves to suggest, it could have been a "false flag" operation.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Your assumption, based on zero facts. Could easily have been the Media Matters types clicking on all that stuff so they could be prepared to post endless blogs about it.

For that matter, as John loves to suggest, it could have been a "false flag" operation.
Here ya go.

But those sites, among the more than a dozen registered by Mr. Latsabidze, were busts. Then he shifted all his energy to Mr. Trump. His flagship pro-Trump website, departed.co, gained remarkable traction in a crowded field in the prelude to the Nov. 8 election thanks to steady menu of relentlessly pro-Trump and anti-Clinton stories. (On Wednesday, a few hours after The New York Times met with Mr. Latsabidze to ask him about his activities, the site vanished along with his Facebook page.)

“My audience likes Trump,” he said. “I don’t want to write bad things about Trump. If I write fake stories about Trump, I lose my audience.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/wo...n-georgia.html

You Trumpinistas are quite something. Trump himself frequently uses fake news from the stump (e.g., thousands of Muslim celebrating 9/11 in New Jersey, 3 million illegal votes in California), he praises one of the craziest conspiracy theorists in the the land (Alex Jones), his National Security Advisor (and son on transition staff) tweets the fake news story that resulted in a pizzeria being shot up, he appoints the editor of Breitbart to his White House staff, and fake news generators admit to targeting Trump supporters exclusively and you throw your lot in with Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes who says "There’s no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts."

I'm beginning to wonder what it is that Trump must do or say for you to object to it.

Last edited by finnbow; 12-08-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Ready

Quote:

Accuse them of doing what you do.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Here ya go.

But those sites, among the more than a dozen registered by Mr. Latsabidze, were busts. Then he shifted all his energy to Mr. Trump. His flagship pro-Trump website, departed.co, gained remarkable traction in a crowded field in the prelude to the Nov. 8 election thanks to steady menu of relentlessly pro-Trump and anti-Clinton stories. (On Wednesday, a few hours after The New York Times met with Mr. Latsabidze to ask him about his activities, the site vanished along with his Facebook page.)

“My audience likes Trump,” he said. “I don’t want to write bad things about Trump. If I write fake stories about Trump, I lose my audience.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/wo...n-georgia.html

You Trumpinistas are quite something. Trump himself frequently uses fake news from the stump (e.g., thousands of Muslim celebrating 9/11 in New Jersey, 3 million illegal votes in California), he praises one of the craziest conspiracy theorists in the the land (Alex Jones), his National Security Advisor (and son on transition staff) tweets the fake news story that resulted in a pizzeria being shot up, he appoints the editor of Breitbart to his White House staff, and fake news generators admit to targeting Trump supporters exclusively and you throw your lot in with Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes who says "There’s no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts."

I'm beginning to wonder what it is that Trump must do or say for you to object to it.
Hey Finn, you're priceless in this thread, and you're doing a great job demonstrating how an average American like you can create "fake news". Pulling Hughes quote out of context is using fine technique for the creating of fake news.

Hughes was actually stating that there was no such thing as facts anymore to individuals on both sides who hold strong positions about politics. Doesn't take a PhD. to notice this. Just spend a few minutes in a forum like this for example and you'll see both sides sometimes interpreting facts in a way that support their positions.

That's exactly what you just did with her quote: pulling it out of context in an attempt to make it sound like she was saying something more like: "Facts??! We don't need no stinkin' facts." That not at all what she said or implied, but that didn't stop you from an attempt to create your own bit of fake news.

See the great service that this thread is providing?