Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 AM

Trump court pick not qualified

Republicans defend Trump court pick rated 'not qualified'
Quote:
(Reuters) - Senate Republicans mounted a concerted defense of one of President Donald Trump’s nominees to a federal appeals court on Wednesday, suggesting a nonpartisan lawyers’ group rating of Leonard Steven Grasz as “not qualified” for the bench was biased.

During a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Grasz’s nomination, the Republicans universally praised the Nebraska lawyer, whom Trump wants to fill a vacancy on the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis.

Negative assessments by the American Bar Association, which has been evaluating federal court picks for decades, are rare. It last gave an appeals court nominee a rating of “not qualified” in 2006. That nominee was withdrawn.
Let's see if history repeats itself or the GOP will continue to kiss Trump's rump.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1D15RL
Old 11-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Republicans defend Trump court pick rated 'not qualified'

Let's see if history repeats itself or the GOP will continue to kiss Trump's rump.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1D15RL
In today's GOP, ignorance and virtues are considered virtues.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Yawn. This is tit-for-tat stuff, I suspect. The ABA doesn't like the nominee's politics, which is the sole basis for their "negative" rating.

“Many questioned whether Mr. Grasz would be able to detach himself from his deeply held social agenda,” Pamela Bresnahan, chair of the group’s judicial nominee vetting committee, said in a statement.

Well, the liberal ABA doesn't like someone's politics? Too bad.

The ABA probably doesn't like being told that their ratings won't play a role in the vetting process for Federal Judges - which is not unprecedented - and decided to vent their spleen by trashing Grasz. Pretty petty and transparent stuff from the ABA, IMHO.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Leonard Grasz, nominated for the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, received a “not qualified” rating from the ABA after the grilling. He said that during the questioning it became clear the ABA evaluators didn’t like his pro-life stance.

“I was asked repeatedly for my personal opinion on social issues including abortion — it seemed to be a great topic of interest to the reviewer,” Mr. Grasz, an Omaha based lawyer, told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“The interviewer repeatedly used in a negative connotation in the phrase, ‘you people,’ and at one point, I stopped him and I said, ‘sir, who do you mean by you people?’ And he said, ‘conservatives and Republicans.’”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...rvatives-you-/

Didn't the guy with the ears get blasted for referring to minorities as "you people", with all the negative connotations that choice of words entails? I guess the ABA's opinions should be similarly disqualified then? And I thought the abortion question wasn't supposed to be a "litmus test"? I guess it is for the ABA.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Looks like a pretty clear cut case of disrespect for settled law. ABA has plenty of conservative lawyers in its ranks, who do respect the law.

http://www.pfaw.org/blog-posts/lette...t-for-the-law/
Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Leonard Grasz, nominated for the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, received a “not qualified” rating from the ABA after the grilling. He said that during the questioning it became clear the ABA evaluators didn’t like his pro-life stance.

“I was asked repeatedly for my personal opinion on social issues including abortion — it seemed to be a great topic of interest to the reviewer,” Mr. Grasz, an Omaha based lawyer, told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“The interviewer repeatedly used in a negative connotation in the phrase, ‘you people,’ and at one point, I stopped him and I said, ‘sir, who do you mean by you people?’ And he said, ‘conservatives and Republicans.’”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...rvatives-you-/

Didn't the guy with the ears get blasted for referring to minorities as "you people", with all the negative connotations that choice of words entails? I guess the ABA's opinions should be similarly disqualified then? And I thought the abortion question wasn't supposed to be a "litmus test"? I guess it is for the ABA.
Nah, he's a wingnut in the mold of Roy Moore. No wonder you're defending him.