Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Admin

'Will Trump Kill the Bourbon Boom?' NY Times

"If President Trump follows through on his threat to impose tariffs on steel imports, expect to see an immediate response from the European Union — including retaliatory tariffs on, of all things, bourbon.
This may seem an oddly disproportionate choice. Everyone needs steel; bourbon, on the other hand, is just a hipster fad and a good-ole-boy mainstay, right?
In fact, a punitive tariff on bourbon and other American whiskeys would be both a symbolic and a substantive body blow — a strike at a unique American product that is enormously popular overseas. Should the tariff dominoes fall, it will be a case study in the shortsightedness of a supposedly “America first” trade policy that, in the end, hurts Americans the most." WP

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/o...&WT.nav=region

More from the 'Gang that can't shoot straight'.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

There is a bright side to Trump's malfeasance in this regard. Reduced demand for Bourbon, coupled with greatly increased capacity, will greatly reduce price for those of us who enjoy it.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Heard this last week on the radio. Most the Bourbons I drink never leave our shores any way. The biggest problem facing the industry is the looming oak staves projected shortage and a unmolested corn from GMO crops near by.

Add to this the industry looks years ahead for totals on production. With the popular time line of 12 years for aging of the higher end and any tariff now will be long gone. If there is an effect they will just leave it in the barrel a little longer.

Barney
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
There is a bright side to Trump's malfeasance in this regard. Reduced demand for Bourbon, coupled with greatly increased capacity, will greatly reduce price for those of us who enjoy it.
Putting 'merica first he is.......