Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Health Insurance company profits

Hey, does anyone know where to find, if they exist, the provit peveps of the insurance companies? Specifically, how has Obamacare affected this?
I did not spend a lot of time googling, but I did find this
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ses-110116.htm

It is a bit weak of an article to be used as proof. I did not find anything more substantial to quote.

The article simply states the insurance companies are showing record profits despite AHCA
Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 AM
reflexionar

A couple more articles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/b...rs-profit.html

https://www.axios.com/profits-are-bo...418194773.html
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Obamacare has been a big, wet kiss from the Democrat party to the health care stocks.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=XLV
Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 AM

It certainly seems like the insurance companies have made more than ever.
I WONDER IF THE DEMOCRATS KNEW THIS IF THEY WOULD BE MORE LIKELY TO ALTER(DAMM CAPs LOCK) or replace the AHCA.

I know I am PO's that they are making this money and still raising their rates by so much next year. I still think that all health care should be a "not for profit" industry. Not a "non-profit", but a not for profit.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
It certainly seems like the insurance companies have made more than ever.
I WONDER IF THE DEMOCRATS KNEW THIS IF THEY WOULD BE MORE LIKELY TO ALTER(DAMM CAPs LOCK) or replace the AHCA.

I know I am PO's that they are making this money and still raising their rates by so much next year. I still think that all health care should be a "not for profit" industry. Not a "non-profit", but a not for profit.
You could replace it with single payer and your taxes would really go up, so Americans would complain about that also. Unlike in the UK where most citizens favor the National Health Americans would deride Medicare For All just like they seem to hate all other aspects of big government.

Not saying single payer would not be better just telling the truth. That is why we have Trump in the White House right now.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post

The Democrats know this was going to be the case BEFORE they passed the ACA. That's why the insurance carriers were at the negotiating table with the Dems during while the legislative pieces of the ACA were being drafted. That's why you have components of the ACA such as the CSR payments and the Transitional Reinsurance Program.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM

Insurance rates were going up before the ACA.
I remember mine going up in the two years prior to the legislation.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You could replace it with single payer and your taxes would really go up...
I would gladly pay more taxes if we could move to single payer. I am sure the taxes would be less than the $1600 a month I pay now for health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Insurance rates were going up before the ACA.
I remember mine going up in the two years prior to the legislation.
Agreed....and single payer is probably the best option to control costs...
Old 10-15-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You could replace it with single payer and your taxes would really go up, so Americans would complain about that also. Unlike in the UK where most citizens favor the National Health Americans would deride Medicare For All just like they seem to hate all other aspects of big government.

Not saying single payer would not be better just telling the truth. That is why we have Trump in the White House right now.
Taxes would have to go up a hell of a lot before it offsets what I'm paying in premiums.

I could absorb a 10% income tax increase and still come out ahead if I didn't have insurance premiums.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Taxes would have to go up a hell of a lot before it offsets what I'm paying in premiums.

I could absorb a 10% income tax increase and still come out ahead if I didn't have insurance premiums.
You and I both, Mr P....