Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I love the Pinky Violence movies and I really love Reiko Ike....

alas all my favorite Japanese female motorcycle gangsters and ninjas are very old now...like me

Have you seen any of the much later Takashi Miike movies John, such as Ichi The Killer?
Some of his movies are very good..
Only "13 Assassins". I know of "Ichi the Killer" but haven't seen it. I tend to like the traditional chanbara stuff like Kurosawa, Gosha, Inagaki and Kobayashi. I've gotten into "Beat" Takeshi a little. I like him, both as a director and actor.

I'm not really much for grindhouse. Of the quirkier stuff, I only ever saw the three "Hanzo the Razor" flicks and didn't really like them all that much. I do like Katsu though (he played the lead in those). The "Zatoichi" films are a hoot and he made a movie with Mifune called "Incident At Blood Pass" that I like a lot. Mifune plays the Yojimbo character (again) and Katsu plays an outlaw. I really like that one.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 01-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Only "13 Assassins". I know of "Ichi the Killer" but haven't seen it. I tend to like the traditional chanbara stuff like Kurosawa, Gosha, Inagaki and Kobayashi. I've gotten into "Beat" Takeshi a little. I like him, both as a director and actor.

I'm not really much for grindhouse. Of the quirkier stuff, I only ever saw the three "Hanzo the Razor" flicks and didn't really like them all that much. I do like Katsu though (he played the lead in those). The "Zatoichi" films are a hoot and he made a movie with Mifune called "Incident At Blood Pass" that I like a lot. Mifune plays the Yojimbo character (again) and Katsu plays an outlaw. I really like that one.

John
Miike can be hit or miss, but I liked Ichi the Killer, Dead Or Alive ( the sequel sucks don't get that), and Audition. If I am not mistaken the Hanzo films are sort of like the Gor novels as far as the treatment of women are concerned.
One of my more favorite serious Japanese films from the immediate post-WWII era is a movie called Stray Dog. Mifune plays the lead character but I really enjoyed his co-star, a cop played by an actor named Takashi Shimura...he was in the The Seven Samurai also. If you have not seen Stray Dog it is excellent. Some of the movies made about World War II from the Japanese perspective are very interesting. They are not jingoistic but rather about the effect it had on the individual soldiers, sort of like the films made in the 70s about Vietnam here in the States. Ichikawa's Fire On The Plain is an outstanding movie about the Japanese in the Philippines after the end of the fighting.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Miike can be hit or miss, but I liked Ichi the Killer, Dead Or Alive ( the sequel sucks don't get that), and Audition. If I am not mistaken the Hanzo films are sort of like the Gor novels as far as the treatment of women are concerned.
One of my more favorite serious Japanese films from the immediate post-WWII era is a movie called Stray Dog. Mifune plays the lead character but I really enjoyed his co-star, a cop played by an actor named Takashi Shimura...he was in the The Seven Samurai also. If you have not seen Stray Dog it is excellent. Some of the movies made about World War II from the Japanese perspective are very interesting. They are not jingoistic but rather about the effect it had on the individual soldiers, sort of like the films made in the 70s about Vietnam here in the States. Ichikawa's Fire On The Plain is an outstanding movie about the Japanese in the Philippines after the end of the fighting.
I have "Stray Dog" in my Hulu queue along with a lot of other Japanese films, mostly chambara but not all. Shimura is an actor I know and like. He played the leader (the Yul Brenner character) in the Seven Samurai.

Another actor I like is Tatsuya Nakadai. He's a very powerful actor with a lot of range. "Harakiri" or "Kagemusha" may be his best work.

I'll have to look for "Fire On The Plain". That sounds very interesting.

And yes, the "Hanzo" movies are seriously misogynistic and perverse like the Gor novels.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 01-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I have "Stray Dog" in my Hulu queue along with a lot of other Japanese films, mostly chambara but not all. Shimura is an actor I know and like. He played the leader (the Yul Brenner character) in the Seven Samurai.

Another actor I like is Tatsuya Nakadai. He's a very powerful actor with a lot of range. "Harakiri" or "Kagemusha" may be his best work.

I'll have to look for "Fire On The Plain". That sounds very interesting.

John
I highly recommend that and another movie called "The Burmese Harp"

well time for bed see you tomorrow! No doubt the "Pot Stirrer" (Pete) will be back lol
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Saw the latest Batman movie. Dissapointed.

Pete
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

My wife and I both woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to watch a movie. I dug out a VHS tape that I had picked up at a flea market - War Room. It was really fascinating: a documentary about Clinton's 1992 campaign for the presidency. James Carville and George Stephanopolous were front and center. Clinton looked a lot more plump, and Hillary looked really young. And Chelsae - as my wife would say "Bless her heart . . ." She did turn out to be a lovely young woman, though. And Al Gore was not as wooden as I remember him.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Loyal Opposition

Rented Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. The folks depicted were a helluva lot closer to nature than we are. It was truly an amazing performance by a six year old girl. Not the easiest movie in the world to follow, though. More of a visceral appeal than cerebral. My wife used my favorite word - authentic - to describe the performances overall, and it fit.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Admin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_..._Southern_Wild

Sounds good!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Admin

Watching "Bottleshock". It's about how we beat those Frenchies at their own game - wine. Chateau Montelena and Stag's Leap beat the best French wines in a blind taste test in France. The Red, The White and the Cru was Time magazine's headline. Great bunch of actors in this one.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Resident octogenarian

I would like to find a DVD of the 1945 film Laura so I could see the woman I fell in love with at fourteen. Unfortunately she was twenty-four.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GeneTierney.jpg (159.8 KB, 5 views)