Denny Crane and the Second Amendment

I'm not a gun owner, but I find this scene from Boston Legal entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CixiDpprMec

Oh the irony of it all...dark humor
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Abby Normal

LOL, just like real life!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM

they didn't show the part where shatner is tried for using excessive force.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM

Gun Control is being able to hit your target...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

I have to chuckle at both sides in this debate. Several years ago, in fact it was in the late sixties because I was living in Montreal, we were on a business trip to Cleveland. We were going to see some people out across the highway from Case Western. We were staying at a downtown hotel and took a cab out to their offices. We drove through an area that resembled nothing so much as some WW II town after an air raid. I asked the cabbie what had happened and he said it was simply a high crime area and people had moved away and the buildings were let go.

He asked where we were from and when I told him he asked how many killings did we have that year. I could not recall exactly but for Montreal that year it was under ten. He could not believe me saying they had close to 200. Oddly enough there was a Medical Inn in the area within walking distance of the offices we were visiting but our hosts said that had they put us up there we would not have dared go out after dark.

The right of it is that yes, guns do not cause crime, people do, but guns sure make it easier. Since then handguns in private hands are now illegal in Canada however, since every 12 year old appears to be armed here I am seriously considering one. I would prefer a Taser as I have no desire to kill anyone but tasers are illegal here.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

When I was around 13 yrs old, I used to go hunting at my uncle's farm of the far end of town. I'd tie a 20 ga pump on the back of my bicycle, ride right down main street, stop at the hardware store and pick up a box of cartridges if I needed them, and no one thought a thing about it.

Somewhere along the way, a gun went from being a simple tool to the absolute device of evil. I still view them as a tool, and some people as evil, but I'm living in the past.

Personally, I've never been unarmed, and find myself rather well armed at the moment. Just being prudent. Even though I have a permit, I don't carry one, and certainly have no desire to shoot anyone. But I do believe that anyone who wishes should own one, and be comfortable with it.

After all, when you need them the most, the police will be at the coffee shop,
Chas
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM

As an after thought, I'd like to address the video clip.

IMHO, videos like this are one of the primary reasons that guns are such a problem. Hollywood has a way of making it look as though shooting people is fun.

You know, our society is really f...ed up,
Chas
Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Abby Normal

My personal experiences with guns,

Twice I have been threatened with a gun.
twice mistaken intent.

I have also seen guns pulled as a drunken threat twice and fired as a warning to barking dogs in the middle of the night.

family members involved with guns

Two dead,
one drug induced murder (between two friends), one death over a girl between cousins (mental illness)

Children with guns:

We have a next store neighbor who since the age of 10 has been shooting guns at targets with no supervision. He is know to be "slow" and a disciplinary problem. It makes for an uncomfortable situation.

There is a child at school who is always talking about guns and killings. Off school grounds he is know to have constant access to guns.

I know of no one who has ever used a gun in self defense.

It is no longer 1776, I don't support guns.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

One of my uncles taught his son the proper use of a shotgun so that he could go hunting. One of young George's buddies also had a shotgun but as noonereal noted this boy was a tad slow.

One day when out hunting they sat down on a log. His buddy, later claiming he thought he saw a squirrel, swung the gun around and shot George.

My uncle had married late in life and George was the only child, I still remember the look in my uncle's eyes.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Somewhere along the way, a gun went from being a simple tool to the absolute device of evil.
I have lived with guns all my life, and share this viewpoint. Robert A. Heinlein wrote "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

In our current culture, life seems to have very little value (to some), and I find that sentiment no longer true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You know, our society is really f...ed up,
Chas
Amen.
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".