Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My Dad, (Born 1917 in Washburn, Wis.), liked him. Admired him even.

My mother, (Born 1923 in Champion, OH.), would seeth at the mention of his name.
I once heard her say, "Oh the hell with it. Why don't the damn Kennedys just hand the whole damn country over to the ni**ers?!"

Geez.

Dave
The times continue to change, Blue. Not necessarily a representative sample, but my boys and their other college age friends are very non-racial in their outlook. I think polling information bears out the greater tolerance of that generation.

BTW, Blue, how did your time in the Navy affect your view toward race?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Area Man

Huge change. I hate to admit it, but, I was more like Mom when I was 18. I had spent my entire life in a town that was close to 100% Caucasian. My time in the Navy, especially on the ship, working, living, eating, basically spending 24/7 around such a diverse crowd and having to trust others with my life changed everything.

Mom was wrong.

"They" aren't all, "just a bunch of filthy loungeabouts". Sure there are cultural differences, every race has its scumbags, and an slight air of unease was always detectable in those days, but for the most part they're just people. I never felt like I was carrying anyone elses weight. Heck, I had more trouble with a white guy that couldn't stop smoking long enough to do his friggin' job than anyone else.

Going back home after that was the weird part, Don. I felt like I was on some bizarre planet where everyone looked the same. The worst part was listening to the bigotry coming from some of those white folk who had NO room at all to talk about anyone else being a lazy, welfare collecting drunk. (Would someone give the loser a mirror, Please?). I go back once every year to visit my brother, and that place has changed very little, except there are less jobs, less people, and it's a lot more run down.
(And there are no blacks there to blame it on, try as they might.)

I left in 1982, returned in 1986. Left again a few months later and will never return.

S.E. Virginia is far more diverse and a much better place to live. That is the truth. That is what I have learned.

Dave
Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It seems that a school board member in Greeley, CO didn't get the memo:

“He's not a legitimate reverend, he's not a bona fide Ph.D. and his name really isn't Martin Luther King Jr.,” Reese says in the broadcast. “What's left? Just a sexual degenerate, an America-hating communist and a criminal betrayer of even the interests of his own people.”

http://room210civilrights.blogspot.c...rd-member.html
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

What ever happened to let us not speak ill of the dead.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Hmmm, typical blogging, I will settle for the truth.

Nobelprize.org

Quote:
Martin Luther King, Jr., (January 15, 1929-April 4, 1968) was born Michael Luther King, Jr., but later had his name changed to Martin. His grandfather began the family's long tenure as pastors of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, serving from 1914 to 1931; his father has served from then until the present, and from 1960 until his death Martin Luther acted as co-pastor.
Martin Luther attended segregated public schools in Georgia, graduating from high school at the age of fifteen; he received the B. A. degree in 1948 from Morehouse College, a distinguished Negro institution of Atlanta from which both his father and grandfather had graduated. After three years of theological study at Crozer Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania where he was elected president of a predominantly white senior class, he was awarded the B.D. in 1951.
With a fellowship won at Crozer, he enrolled in graduate studies at Boston University, completing his residence for the doctorate in 1953 and receiving the degree in 1955. In Boston he met and married Coretta Scott, a young woman of uncommon intellectual and artistic attainments. Two sons and two daughters were born into the family.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It seems that a school board member in Greeley, CO didn't get the memo:

“He's not a legitimate reverend, he's not a bona fide Ph.D. and his name really isn't Martin Luther King Jr.,” Reese says in the broadcast. “What's left? Just a sexual degenerate, an America-hating communist and a criminal betrayer of even the interests of his own people.”

http://room210civilrights.blogspot.c...rd-member.html
Asshole.

At least he's got some reputable backers.

http://whitereference.blogspot.com/2...ist-kevin.html

(Read the comments. Nice guys, really. True Patriots concerned with the future of our Great Nation is all.)

"He carries a gun to board meetings because of all of the death threats." I tried to bring up his website. "Connection timed out." Must be a popular guy.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-18-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
To give you an idea of how times have changed, I remember very well the day that King was shot. I was watching TV in my bedroom in Rockville, MD (I was 14 years old) and a newsflash came on the TV to say that Dr. King had been shot. I ran to tell my mother (born 1916 near Selma, AL), to which she responded "I hope they killed that SOB."

A lot of folks were very uncomfortable (to say the least) about Dr. King's ideas and actions.
You had your own teevee as a Kid??? I had a crappy AM/FM radio which may as well been AM only, due to the lack of FM stations.

My Dad mirrored you mothers statement. Then again, he thought Billy Graham was a "long haired SOB who needs a haircut".

Chas
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not to worry Pete, you can inherit all of the wealth us Boomers have created.

Once it "trickles down" through the beltway.

Just don't spend it all in one place.

Chas
Do they have dollar stores in Ohio?

Trickle down, sheesh even the GOP is PC, why couldn't they be honest and say pissed on.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-18-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

Trickle down, sheesh even the GOP is PC, why couldn't they be honest and say pissed on.
Pissed away might be more like it.

Everyone has known that this has been coming for years. As a matter of fact, it's been quite a time back whenever a poll was conducted where more people believed in UFO's than believed they would ever get their Social Security.

But not to worry, there are still those who point out that the fund is fully vested until 2038, or what other ridiculous date they come up with.

Chas
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Not to worry Pete, you can inherit all of the wealth us Boomers have created.

Once it "trickles down" through the beltway.

Just don't spend it all in one place.

Chas
I'd be fine with you guys finally retiring, leaving too many positions to be filled, so my pay goes up.

See? I'm an optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Due to inflation they are now dollar twenty-five stores.

Quote:
Pissed away might be more like it.

Everyone has known that this has been coming for years. As a matter of fact, it's been quite a time back whenever a poll was conducted where more people believed in UFO's than believed they would ever get their Social Security.

But not to worry, there are still those who point out that the fund is fully vested until 2038, or what other ridiculous date they come up with.

Chas
Me and my friends never believed we'd see it (I'm now 43). As it is, they keep increasing retirement age, I won't anyway!

One thing I've learned about black folks overall that I admire - they are much more patient in a way than most white folks I know, and more tolerant.

Going to the store with an unnamed older lady, family, was always an experience, as she had a tendency to start complaining loudly about certain n-named folks if the line moved too slowly. In horror, I would watch the black folks while I tried to shut her up (I was young then). The worst was disgust, but mostly a sorrow, a look that stays with you.

If you really want to be friends with a black guy, ask him if you can touch his hair. It happens a lot and they get a little tired of it sometimes

If King would've lived they might have been able to vilify him, or he may have tarnished his own reputation, or both. Dying kinda garunteed him his spot.

Anyone see the kids taking turns repeating lines of his dream speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial yesterday? It was great.

Pete