Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Interesting on the bass players for you. I've found the Brits really are the bees knees when it comes to the low end.

Squire
Bruce
Butler

and for a bit newer

Peter Hook.........
McCartney

Then we have homegrown Stanley Clarke, Vic Wooten, and Jaco Pastorious, unless you're limiting the genre to rock.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Admin

Cult of Personality~Living Color This'll knock the wax outta your ears. Only to be listened to at extreme volume! Burning of the Midnight Lamp dragged thru Trenchtown(West Kingston,Jamaica)is a duppy laden manic version. Eh? Dondillion. You want bass? Heh, this song will wreck lesser speakers be forewarned!!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
McCartney

Then we have homegrown Stanley Clarke, Vic Wooten, and Jaco Pastorious, unless you're limiting the genre to rock.

Regards,

D-Ray
This gal, gentlemen, is the latest hot bassist, Tal Wilkenfeld, from Australia. Jeff Beck took her on tour when she was still a teenager. She's quite the phenom.

She kinda looks like the young gal on the Blind Faith album cover. As for the other hot current (jazz) bassist, it's Esperanza Spalding. Whassup with all these pretty gals excelling on bass? They're both pretty much the most exciting bassists in their respective genres.

That said, Victor Wooten is the most gifted, jaw-dropping bassist I've ever seen live and I think I've seen all listed above other than Wilkenfeld. He does Eddie Van Halen antics on a Fender jazz bass. Tal's performance on the Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD is pretty awe-inspiring though.

Last edited by finnbow; 06-13-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
This gal, gentlemen, is the latest hot bassist, Tal Wilkenfeld, from Australia. Jeff Beck took her on tour when she was still a teenager. She's quite the phenom.

She kinda looks like the young gal on the Blind Faith album cover. As for the other hot current (jazz) bassist, it's Esperanza Spalding. Whassup with all these pretty gals excelling on bass? They're both pretty much the most exciting bassists in their respective genres.

That said, Victor Wooten is the most gifted, jaw-dropping bassist I've ever seen live and I think I've seen all listed above other than Wilkenfeld. He does Eddie Van Halen antics on a Fender jazz bass. Tal's performance on the Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD is pretty awe-inspiring though.
Spalding is a gifted vocalist as well as bassist. She did some things with Stanley Clarke too. She played the White House at age 19, and also performed at his Nobel prize ceremony.

That photo of Tal is from the Crossroads concert in '07. She was actually twenty at that time, although she looked like fifteen. She was doing the Carly Simon look with her t-shirt in that show, and it is pretty clear that she is more gifted than the gal on the Blind Faith cover.

My son learned slap bass from watching Wooten's instructional videos. Vic is an amazing talent. From the time I have spent perusing youtube lately, it's clear that there is plenty of talent out there. And very little of it is played on the radio.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Admin

Working Class Hero~Lennon
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
McCartney

Regards,

D-Ray
Tony Levin
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Joe Walsh~Rocky Mountain Way
Joe Walsh is going to do a benefit concert for Tammy Duckworth in her campaign to unseat.... um.... Rep. Joe Walsh. True. Shaumburg, IL. July 1st. Be there!

John

Last edited by Boreas; 06-14-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Joe Walsh is going to do a benefit concert for Tammy Duckworth in her campaign to unseat.... um.... Rep. Joe Walsh. True. Shaumburg, IL. July 2st. Be there!

John
There goes the stoner vote that Tammy was hoping to tap into. Some will be confused and vote for Joe..
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Loyal Opposition

You want some bass? I got some bass for you right here.

Stanley Clarke, Vic Wooten and Marcus Miller. If you want to see the jaw-dropping virtuosity that Finn mentioned, go to the 11:50 mark for a Wooten solo.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yeah I'm about seven years old when I hear this stuff imagine a lil blond punk kid dancing the Stroll or the Jerk not to mention the Boogaloo. My big sis made me dance, who was I to argue? Sure miss her....post number 1000's for you Sandy.
My big Sis tried to teach me to dance but I have two left feet, so it never took. Florence on the other hand is an excellent dancer. I recall a trip to Denmark for a lecture. We were in Copenhagen so naturally went to the Tivoli Gardens. Strolling areound after dinner we came upon an orchestra playing a Viennese waltz. She started dancing by herself. At the conclusion she applauded the orchestra, to my surprise they stood up and applauded her.

Ah we had some great times in Europe, just as well because you can't get either of us on a plane anymore.

Sis is 86 and still fairly active but her eyesight is going, wrong type of macular degeneration. Hell even with the dry variety the screen is not always that clear.

Last edited by merrylander; 06-14-2012 at 08:00 AM.