Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep. Same applies to English and French history AFAIK. What is curious is that the same right wing that openly espouses disgust/hatred of our government concurrently says that our form of government is exceptional. Which one is it?
This is now and that was then?

Chas
Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is now and that was then?

Chas
Just what are you saying - we were exceptional, but no longer are? If that's the case, Boss Limbaugh will have you excommunicated from the Official Church of the Wingnut.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Yes, all those other countries were the first to shake the shackles of tyranny and form a Republic.

There are elements of the left that openly expouse anarchy, you know.

Pete
Yep. We beat the French by five years (1787 vs. 1792). However; in part, it was their support of us that made our revolution successful.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Just what are you saying - we were exceptional, but no longer are? If that's the case, Boss Limbaugh will have you excommunicated from the Official Church of the Wingnut.
Fine by me, but they'd best not touch me tin foil hat.

That thair wuld get a feller slapped upside his noggin wit an empty juga 86XX kewlaid!!!

Chas
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Obama continues to receive a ration of shit from the right wing for providing this answer to a query from a British reporter while in France last year concerning his feeling about American Exceptionalism, —“just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.”

What are your feelings about American Exceptionalism and the right wing's demands that American political figures must expound their adherance to this notion? Personally, I think it's tiresome and silly. Somehow they seem to feel that if you don't believe that America is exceptional (whatever that means), you're unpatriotic and unfit for public office.

In my years overseas, I have yet to travel to or live in a first-world nation that doesn't believe it's somehow exceptional. I just wish the right wing would cut the jingoistic crap.

Here's an interesting take on the subject.

What's your take on it?
That was an exceptionally well written article. It seems like every time the President takes on a diplomatic tone while on visits abroad, he provides the right wing with ammunition to criticize him as being weak and un-American. His answer to the question sounds like something a responsible head of state should say. I suppose Obama would be criticized for not claiming that we are God's chosen people.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
That was an exceptionally well written article. It seems like every time the President takes on a diplomatic tone while on visits abroad, he provides the right wing with ammunition to criticize him as being weak and un-American. His answer to the question sounds like something a responsible head of state should say. I suppose Obama would be criticized for not claiming that we are God's chosen people.

Regards,

D-Ray
Bullshit!!! That was a lousy article.

God, guns, and guts made America great!!! Being at the right place at the right time didn't hurt anything either.

I'd rather be lucky as good any day!!!

Americans are a lot like everyone else. We put our pants on one leg at a time, we shit between our legs...and it don't smell like roses.

For what it's worth, I won't wrap myself in the flag, but I won't burn it either.

But I will contend, America has been a positive influence on the world. Most of the time.

Chas
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

God, guns, and guts made America great!!! Being at the right place at the right time didn't hurt anything either.

Americans are a lot like everyone else. We put our pants on one leg at a time, we shit between our legs...and it don't smell like roses.

For what it's worth, I won't wrap myself in the flag, but I won't burn it either.

But I will contend, America has been a positive influence on the world. Most of the time.

Chas
Excommunication papers are underway via FedEx for this blasphemy.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:

Chas
I am proud to be an American. I just think that we don't have to spend all that much time patting ourselves on the back. I was always taught that if you're good enough at something you don't have to talk about it, but you let your success speak for you. I think there was enough arrogance in our foreign policy during the previous eight years that it's now a good idea to take a more diplomatic tone.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I am proud to be an American. I just think that we don't have to spend all that much time patting ourselves on the back. I was always taught that if you're good enough at something you don't have to talk about it, but you let your success speak for you. I think there was enough arrogance in our foreign policy during the previous eight years that it's now a good idea to take a more diplomatic tone.

Regards,

D-Ray
There is a time to talk, and a time to fight.

While you may disagree, I think what Shrub did was right for the time, much as what Obummer is doing is also right for the time.

Being critical of one's opponents is far too easy. For the most part, they are really no different than you or I.

They simply do the best that they can, given the circumstances.

Chas
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Excommunication papers are underway via FedEx for this blasphemy.
Effin ya'll kick me out of the club, kin I quit payin' muh dues???

Chas