Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Jigsawed

And all of this is independent of blockade?

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-09-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:15 PM

@juliovideo, I hope it won't be too long before your imprisoned island will be free.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:11 AM
Jigsawed

I wish to give props to your homeland on its sterling efforts to bring basic health care to the impoverished corners of the earth.

I notice it is working on a Covid vaccine despite its meager resources and the relentless efforts to poach its doctors.

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-10-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:03 AM

Over the years have had the pleasure of knowing more then a few who have migrated to the U.S.A. Can say all have been nice warm and friendly people. Strong in their believes and opinions.
They are great additions and contribute greatly to this their adopted country.

Some day hopefully soon the dark cloud around your island will dissipate into a bad memory.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:01 AM
Jigsawed

There is a film, Even The Rain, on NETFLIX which is very instructive on Latin America and the Caribbean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-EvenTheRain (1).jpg (25.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-10-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:32 PM

Having dual citizenship (US/Canada) I went for the first time to Cuba in Feb/2020 just before covid hit. My wife and I are 'culture' travelers so we ended up in a small hotel in downtown Santiago de Cuba not at a resort; ironically my wife has been to Cuba 14 years in a row but with her mother and at a resort in Varadero. My wife learned in one week what she hadn't learned in 14 years. 1. Food was way better in Santiago than on the resort. 2. Resort personnel are specifically trained to 'talk Cuba up' to tourists regardless of where they come from. 3. If you know the right people you can get anything from anywhere around the world - basically the whole country is an underground economy. Case in Point: my wife has had chicken many times in Cuba and it's never been too good, one evening we ordered chicken at small restaurant near Plaza de Marte... it was really good so we asked the proprietor where he gets his chickens. He said 'I can't tell you' but after a 20 minute chit chat he relaxed enough and said 'I get my chickens every 2 weeks from CANADA'. BTW town ran out of beer on the third day and out of gas on the 5th day of the week we were there. Even though Santiago is the second largest city in Cuba (after Havana of course) it's not high on the 'replenishment list' because it's not a major tourist destination.
Most Cuban revolutions started near or in Santiago including Jose Marti's which the OP quotes, and Marti is considered the soul of Cuba; venerated by all and an inspiration to Fidel's revolution which also started in Santiago on July 26th 1953

Last edited by UncleAng; 03-13-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAng View Post

.... Marti is considered the soul of Cuba; venerated by all and an inspiration to Fidel's revolution which also started in Santiago on July 26th 1953
Could José Martí sympathize with communism?

Author: Frank Rodríguez

Why speculate on whether José Martí would sympathize with communism or with s o c i a l i s m ?

When a tourist arrives in Cuba, they will be able to land at the José Martí airport and then they can visit the former Plaza Cívica, today Plaza de la Revolución, where they will see the monument to Martí sharing a square with the image of Che and Camilo Cienfuegos. You can incorrectly assume that Martí was the mastermind behind the attack on the Moncada Barracks if you visit Santiago de Cuba and when you see Martí's tomb near Fidel Castro's ceboruco, you can also assume that Martí and Castro were of revolutionary ideas and therefore Marxist.

The catechism of the Communist Party of Cuba identifies the revolution as Marti and Marxist, although the 1976 Constitution eliminated Martí in favor of Lenin.

Fidel Castro awarded the José Martí National Order to such renowned assassins as Saddam Hussein, Nicolae Ceausescu, Kim-Il-Sum, Janos Kadar and others. That is why we are obliged to study Marti's thought in this regard.

Martí was a contemporary of Karl Marx and the nascent Marxist doctrine, but he died in 1895 before the crimes of the first communist state, the Russian, in 1917.

José Martí wrote in New York in 1883: “Karl Marx has died. Since he sided with the weak, he deserves honor. But the one who points out the damage, and burns with generous desire to remedy it, does not do good, but the one who teaches a soft remedy to the damage. "

Martí could not sympathize with s o c i a l i s m or communism because he loved freedom and private property and was opposed to totalitarianism and arbitrariness. Martí feared the concentration of political and economic power in a group of people who by human nature would have privileges that they would abuse by having the distribution of wealth in their hands.

“Man loves freedom, even though he does not know that he loves it, and he is pushed from it and fleeing.

"It is always a disgrace for freedom that freedom is a party."

"Tyranny is the same in its various forms, even though it is vivid in some of them with beautiful names and great deeds"

Karl Marx wrote in the Communist Manifesto:

“The history of any existing hierarchical society is the history of the class struggle. Free men and slaves, patricians and commoners, lord and stag, guild master and officer - in a word, oppressor and oppressed - were in constant confrontation, developed in an uninterrupted struggle, now hidden, now open; a struggle that always ended in a revolutionary reconstitution of society or in the common ruin of the contending classes ”.

But Martí wrote:

"The right of the worker can never be hatred of capital: it is harmony, conciliation, the common rapprochement of one and the other"

"A nation that has many small owners is rich"

"A Constitution is a living law and practice that cannot be built with ideological elements "

" Property preserves the States "

Martí wrote: “The s o c i a l i s t idea has two dangers, like so many others; that of foreign, confused and incomplete readings, and that of the arrogance and concealed rage of the ambitious, who, in order to rise up in the world, begin by pretending, to have shoulders on which to rise as frantic defenders of the helpless ”.

Marti wrote about these dangers in “La Futura Esclavitud”, La América, New York, April 1884, commenting on the treatise of the same name by Robert Spencer.

“All the power that the civil servants caste would acquire, bound by the need to maintain themselves in a privileged and rich occupation, would be lost by the people who do not have the same reasons of complicity in hope and profit, to face the bound civil servants. for common interests. As all public needs would come to be satisfied by the state, the officials would then acquire the enormous influence that naturally comes to those who distribute some right or benefit. The man who now wants the state to take care of him so that he does not have to take care of himself, would then have to work in the measure, for the time and in the work that the state could assign him, since to this one, on whom all would fall homework,All the necessary facilities would naturally be given to obtain the means to comply with them.

From being a servant of himself, man would become a servant of the state. From being a slave to the capitalists, as it is now called, he would become a slave to the civil servants. A slave is anyone who works for another who has dominion over him, and in that s o c i a l i s t system the community of man would dominate, who would give all his work to the community. And since the officials are human beings and therefore abusers, arrogant, ambitious and in that organization they would have great power, supported by all those who take advantage or hoped to take advantage of the abuses and by those vile forces that terror always buys among the oppressed, prestige or ability of those in charge, this system of official distribution of common work would soon suffer the losses, violence, thefts and misrepresentations that the spirit of individuality,the authority and daring of genius and the astacies of vice originate promptly and fatally in every human organization ... The autocratic official will abuse the plebs, tired and hard-working. Unfortunately it will be and will generate servitude ”.

Martí wrote that American labor pragnathism was superior to the European ideas of the time:

“The conquest of the future must be done with white hands. The worker of the United States would be more cautious if the most sorrowful and wrathful in Europe did not pour their hateful feces into his ear. Germans, French and Russians guide these days. The American tends to solve the concrete case in their meetings: and those from abroad to upload it to the abstract. In those here, good sense and being born in a free cradle make the passage to anger difficult. In those there, it excites her and moves her to explode, because prolonged slavery suffocates her and concentrates her. "

Martí rejected the premises that support Marx's theory. Martí believed in the harmony of social classes, not class. The economy and the relations of production were for Marx the determining factor in the life of man. This was absurd for Martí. In Martí's writings, the word "economy" is only found 14 times while "freedom" appears 346 times.

If you have not been informed about s o c i a l i s m, you cannot accuse Martí. In 1886, there were 34 s o c i a l i t publications (5 newspapers) in the US Martí was a prolific reader. In the USA, since 1852, there was a communist party founded by the German Joseph Weydemeyer. What struck Martí most about s o c i a l i s t schemes is summarized in 4 points: (1) the masked demagoguery of his leadership, using hypocritical diatribes to cajole the poor and achieve political power; (2) the social and cultural price of subordinating the individual to a collective; (3) the fostering of a cyclops, bureaucratic and invasive state; (4) and the abuse of freedom to implement these "confused" ideas.

Criticism of aspects of American society at one time does not necessarily mean that he had disdain for it. Calling the US, the "... freest and largest society on Earth", disqualifies Martí as anti-American despite his famous phrase: "I lived in the monster and I know its entrails." Martí lived half his life in the United States, worked as a translator, and organized the Cuban Revolutionary Party. Martí understood that democracy in the United States was an imperfect but perfectible phenomenon. The impressive economic growth that capitalism and the Industrial Revolution evidenced in the 19th century in the United States, naturally brought problems of social adaptation, given the magnitude of the process. Martí observed this and suggested avenues for systemic improvement, but he never advocated, not even implicitly, for their dismantling and replacement with the s o c i a l i s t delusion. This is even more scandalous when those who make these false assertions of trying to connect Martí with Marxism, hide assertions that reflect Martí's admiration for the United States.

Almost all the Cuban exiles who live in the United States have an ambivalent attitude towards the country that gave us shelter but that has acted and acts to frustrate the rebellious activities that could put an end to the communist dictatorship. But this is far from not appreciating the greatness of this country, as it is evident that Martí recognized it.

It is therefore the responsibility of every Cuban who can counteract communist propaganda to do so so that the deception of the Cuban dictators who take advantage of state resources to promote lies and confuse patriotism with communism and Marx with Martí does not continue.

front: https://patriademarti.com/articulos-...n-el-comunismo

Partria y Vida ! - https://youtu.be/pP9Bto5lOEQ - Homeland and Life ! English subtitles

=============

Last edited by juliovideo; 03-14-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
@juliovideo, I hope it won't be too long before your imprisoned island will be free.
Hopefully yes, ..... thanks for the support.

Each small complaint is an impulse to achieve freedom, it is my duty as a Cuban and citizen of this country the United States of America, we feel grateful for opening the doors and giving us the opportunity to contribute with our professional and business talent to make this nation still stronger.

regards julio

https://youtu.be/LDamBl5JvJA

==================

Last edited by juliovideo; 03-14-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 PM

DSC_0072.jpg

Fidel's tomb.

DSC_0080.jpg

Marti's tomb

DSC_0089.jpg

Changing of the guard at Marti's tomb
Old 03-16-2021, 04:16 AM

Hello everyone, you can now see the full movie "Plantados".

https://youtu.be/dQvY0wNrwQo

===========

Last edited by juliovideo; 07-13-2021 at 07:44 AM.