Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LMAO! Where's that chair?

You take away from one part, they end up coming after you too. Our esteemed founders understood this - as much as some things sound wonderful and great, no one is worthy of the power, certainly not a faceless bureaucracy.

Pete
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Pete, you are fond of quoting Thomas Jefferson, I trust that you realize that the Citize.s United decision has him spinning in his grave.

http://soundingcircle.com/newslog2.p...195-000205.htm

For one so fond of history you have a few blind spots.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The amendment isn't there though. By imposing restrictions by legislative action or judicial fiat the door is open for all speech to be regulated, my take. He wouldn't have liked that much either.

Here's the reason I have issue with it. Whomever has the power or money tries to keep it. As they age as a power center they become calcified brittle and rotten in the center. The more power they have to protect themselves the worse it becomes before the inevitable fall.

Right now the whole 'debate' is framed by the political/ruling class, lock stock and barrel. If they can they will try to keep it that way.

So let loose cannon PACs in Shake things up a bit. Just my take. I do understand the concern.

Pete
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The amendment isn't there though. By imposing restrictions by legislative action or judicial fiat the door is open for all speech to be regulated, my take. He wouldn't have liked that much either.

Here's the reason I have issue with it. Whomever has the power or money tries to keep it. As they age as a power center they become calcified brittle and rotten in the center. The more power they have to protect themselves the worse it becomes before the inevitable fall.

Right now the whole 'debate' is framed by the political/ruling class, lock stock and barrel. If they can they will try to keep it that way.

So let loose cannon PACs in Shake things up a bit. Just my take. I do understand the concern.

Pete
And do you honestly believe that the corporations will change things. Right now they have all the marbles and they are not about to give any of them back.

They have won, my poor friend, and we are the worse for it. I at least have the option of selling the property and moving back to sanity.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-19-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
I believe it's not just a mistake. I believe it's a HORRIBLE mistake. I don't think we're taking ANY power from the "political/ruling class" at all. I think we are solidifying corporatocracy, destroying Democracy and handing the keys directly to the "Ruling Class". We are ceding control to the wealthy elite out of fear that they will abandon us. (A nod to Ms. Rand)

Sorry, Pete. No offense intended. But I think you're wrong.

I think the founders would vomit at the sight of this.

(Or maybe not, seeing as how they WERE the slave owning wealthy elite of the day!)

But, what do I know? I'm just a stupid, lazy lefty..............

Dave
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Well you're honest

I do disagree about ceding control to the wealthy elite. We never got it from them in the first place.

Pete
Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I believe it's not just a mistake. I believe it's a HORRIBLE mistake. I don't think we're taking ANY power from the "political/ruling class" at all. I think we are solidifying corporatocracy, destroying Democracy and handing the keys directly to the "Ruling Class". We are ceding control to the wealthy elite out of fear that they will abandon us. (A nod to Ms. Rand)

Sorry, Pete. No offense intended. But I think you're wrong.

I think the founders would vomit at the sight of this.

(Or maybe not, seeing as how they WERE the slave owning wealthy elite of the day!)

But, what do I know? I'm just a stupid, lazy lefty..............

Dave
Ms Rand advocated us abandoning the wealthy elite.

Chas
Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Well you're honest

I do disagree about ceding control to the wealthy elite. We never got it from them in the first place.

Pete
Sure we did, they let us vote!!!

Chas
Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ms Rand advocated us abandoning the wealthy elite.

Chas
Obviously, the best way to abandon them is to allow them to choose our leaders for us, give them fat tax cuts and dismantle the regulations they bitch about.

Yeah, that'll show them.

Just who is it you guys see as being "the wealthy elite" anyways? You moan when we decry the excesses of Wall Street bankers, howl when we point to the insatible greed of corporations, gasp when we ridicule the Koch Brothers, scream about "market forces" when we blame oil executives for the price of gas (Or try to turn it around and blame it on the prez, especially if he is a Dem.)....................

Wall Street high rollers, large corporations, billionaires, oil companies........................

If that isn't the "wealthy elite", then who is, Chas?

If the goverment is bought and paid for, then just who is it that doin' the buying? Tell me, who has their hands up the puppets ass?

You? Me? Little old Ladies drawing Social Security? The janitors union?

Say something mean about a wealthy businessman or a large corporation and a Republican will throw himself on the grenade everytime.

And yet it us "lefties" with our labor unions and our environmentalists and our Occupy protesters that suck up to the rich.

Sorry, but I'm just not buying it. It has all of the characterisitics of Grade 'A' bullshit.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-19-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Admin

Some of them just can't help it Dave. They have this fantasy that if they keep sucking up to big biz they'll let them into the country club. It pathetic and a waste of gernades.